Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smartstrand too expensive...now what?

Posted by jennifer_in_kansas (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 18:03

I'm so disappointed. I finally decided on Smartstrand Sorona from Carpet Corner, a local store. It's 3.75/sq ft for 40oz (dining room) and $4.53/sq ft for 60oz (family room, sitting room & stairs). This price includes generic 8lb pad + installation.

Well, apparently I miscalculated how much I needed and the final price is outside of my budget.

The 2nd runner up was comparable weight Anso. Does this product run about the same price?

I am usually a really good researcher but I'm a bit deflated right now. And since my dining room is down to subfloor I have to keep moving forward.

The carpet needs to stand up to our life:
2 cats. No urine issues but carpet does need to stand up to hairballs.
A small dribble or two of coffee
We wear our shoes indoors (but this can be changed)
We vacuum about once a week
No children

Do you have any suggestions on a carpet that would be a good fit for us & the budget? Possibly just a level down from Smartstrand? It was a struggle to get DH to agree this time - it won't happen again for another 20yrs.

Thanks
Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smartstrand too expensive...now what?

Anso will be close in price. I would be asking about a Shaw ever-touch nylon. Anso does have some lighter weight stuff,but you will not like it after viewing 40 ounce and above products. Stay away from the polyesters as they just will not perform in the long run.Carpet has really gone up. Two major increases this year so far..February and April... It makes me sick but is fuel driven. Look at Evertouch Nylon. Good carpet..less money and its nylon!There will be some light weight smart strand out there, but you will not like it because it is soft but not thick at all.Good Luck.

o
RE: Smartstrand too expensive...now what?

Thanks Floortech.

Last night I went shopping a bit more and realized the price I was quoted wasn't really that high in comparison to other carpets. I guess it was sticker shock.

Glad you mentioned the lower weight Smartstrand. I was debating on getting it but had real reservations about it.

I'll definitely look into Shaw Ever-touch nylon.

Jennifer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here