Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

what's the truth about solid walnut as it ages?

illinigirl
9 years ago

We just had a whole lot of 3/4" solid walnut put down in our new construction home. It's about to be sanded and finished this week. All along the plan was to have it stained just a bit to help even out any sapwood and to help 'hold' the color over time. I was under the impression that walnut can actually fade out over the years (even if it may get darker initially). Today some of the finishing men at the house told me that walnut left it's 'natural' unstained color will actually darken initially then hold it's color. Only if stain is applied that the stain will fade over time, not the wood itself. This goes against everything I have been told my other wood floor people about walnut.

Now I don't know what to do about the stain, which needs to go down on Wednesday this week. I felt like they were pressuring me to go with a natural stain (which has a barely there tint but really basically the same color as an unstained walnut)

What is the truth about my floor? Will stain fade? will the walnut darken or fade over years time?

We are using Bona products for stain and coat. The stain is oil based but the top coats are water based. Bona HD Naturale or Extra Matte (we haven't decided on the sheen for sure yet) One coat stain, 3 coats finish, with sanding in between.

Comments (13)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Walnut is weird. Staining will hold its color better than say going natural. Natural finish will amber and actually appear to make the wood look lighter. But when you sand it clean it gets dark again.

In my opinion its the finish that causes the confusion.
    Someone else may disagree but its just my two cents.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what the 'main' flooring guy is telling me too. He is suggesting we go with a brown stain such as Provincial, Special Walnut, Jacobean, etc. Do you know which stain will be closer to the natural color of walnut with warmth but no overt red undertones (and no orange/yellow either)?

We are going for a warm cozy look that is not too dark.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

You are using bona stains? I dont work with bona stains. Sorry i know jacobean is dark so i would shy away from that.

• User
    9 years ago

The whole point of walnut is it's dramatic grain. Grain that is obscured by stain. If you are going to stain it, you could have saved yourself a considerable expense by chosing a different wood.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm usually in the camp that thinks Walnut should be natural but I'm also in the camp that prefers oil poly. I don't believe that Naturale provides any UV protection, so when using a clear sealer, the Walnut will turn golden where you have strong sunlight. Staining will counteract this somewhat.
    Bona has three options for natural, Bona Seal, Amberseal and DTS. The Amberseal or DTS might provide better fading protection than the Bonaseal but Bona's website doesn't indicate that either would protect against fading.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. We want the stain light enough that the beauty of the grain stills shows through. They've put down a couple of light stain samples (Puritan Pine and Natural) and they both are quite light and still show the grain. However the PP was orange-y and the Natural won't offer any color protection over time so we are looking for something a hint darker in the brown family that doesn't change the color too much but will just help prevent drastic color change that might happen if the wood was left in the natural state.

Still waiting on new stain samples. Just looking for a warm rich depth to the wood without too much color change.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Please post updates, I also just had walnut HW installed. To be sanded soon.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic. We looked at a bunch of samples including early american, special walnut, and provincial. In the end we felt those were all too dark or red or orange. But we liked the color of the provincial so we tried cutting it 50% with natural. IIt looked almost identical to natural so we went with that and here are the results after two coats of mega on top. Final coat will be either Naturale or traffic HD extra matte.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

• User
    9 years ago

Nice!

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and here are a couple daytime shots (the first one was evening)

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

• mdln
    9 years ago

Absolutely, beautiful! I am anxious to see how mine looks after sanding, etc. Also, love your fireplace and built-ins esp the hutch.

• kimber1216
    last year

How did this hold up? Did it discolor?