Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-Installation Floor Prep

Posted by kimberlyrkb (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 17:00

Hi All,

We want to replace the floor in our basement TV room. The floor is a concrete slab on dirt that currently has carpet and pad on it. The house has always felt/smelled musty even though we've not seen water coming in, and we think this carpet is part of the problem. I also think that the slab itself may be an issue.

We're looking at a vinyl plank flooring product, probably Karndean loose lay tile. Would it make sense to apply something like Drylok masonry waterproofer or Drylok floor paint before we install our flooring, regardless of what we get?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-Installation Floor Prep

If you are concerned about a possible foundation leak. I would suggest you get an inspector out first to get their opinion. While its no necessary since havent seen water. Now would be the time since you are rippin up the carpet. And after what the inspector then proceed.

o

Thanks for a fast answer Greg! We're not really concerned about a foundation leak, but I guess we'll never know what we'll find when we rip up the carpet. Good point. Thanks.

o

Once you have it down to bare slab, tape down a piece of 2x2' clear plastic on the floor and leave it for 48 hours. Any moisture coming up from beneath will show up under the plastic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here