Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisapico

Please advise - most reputable prefinished flooring company?

lisapico
15 years ago

We're going with prefinished rather than finished on site for a number of reasons.

We live in a small town so there is only one small company that has samples of prefinished flooring.

I would like information of reputable companies so that we can choose a prefinished floor and get the info to our GC.

Many thanks.

Comments (7)

• boxers
    15 years ago

it seems like a simple question but like everything in flooring brand name doesn't mean as much. Bruce pioneered prefinished flooring and was the first to do so. However today many of the products are outsourced to China, so your not going to get a pat answer. While you will get response it means little if your not comparing apples to apples.

• digiweb
    15 years ago

A local floor guy told me he liked BR-111 because they've always been environmentally responsible. Then I came across a rain forest protection site that said BR-111 was one of the worst rain forest de-forestation offenders.

Probably the easiest way to address the question is to find a store that will back what it sells, regardless of which company makes the product they're selling. A local store that offers good customer service is the best insurance. None of the flooring companies make a consistently bad product, it's not like that. It's more like, if you got the batch they made the employees were tired can you get it resolved?

• sb345
    15 years ago

lisapico,

First, you should be able to get samples from any of the manufacturer's or have your dealer special order them for you.

If you are looking at domestic species (in no particular order)

Lauzon
    Anderson (solids, the engineered is just so-so)
    Mohawk's High end solids
    Canterbury
    Taylor Lumber
    Mirage
    Kahrs

If you are looking at exotics

BR111 (some are better than others, $$$ is the surest way to tell with them all are finished in Brazil)
    Brandywine (formerly WFI)
    Canterbury
    Johnson
    Pianeta Legno

• njg_viewpoint
    15 years ago

A year ago, my son and I did 3 rooms with Durawood from Lumber Liquidators. The bedroom (practice room for us) is a standard random oak, but we did our living room and dining room with the Aztec Cherry finish on Brazilian Oak. It is all 3/4 inch thick. I did see some absolutely beautiful flooring at 2 to 3 times the price elsewhere. We gets compliments from everyone on the living and dining rooms. I don't know how it will hold up long term, but it looks great now. We do have a LL in our area, but they will send you samples.

• rex_2828
    15 years ago

You should definetly check with Pianeta Legno Floors. Their floors are gorgeous and top quality. I'm myself in the trade so i know what is good or what is sh..! They have all engineered and prefinished with a very thick wear layer (1/4'), you can resend and refinish 5-6 times and with 7-8 coats of polyurethane finish. Also, they use top quality engineered structure( 11 multilayers of birch plywood) . Go check their showroom, 2nd avenue & 58th street.

• mbh65
    15 years ago

Isn't an aluminum oxide finish more durable than polyurethane?

• boxers
    15 years ago

In testing aluminum oxide can be up to 10 times more abrasive resistant than site finished. That does not mean it won't scratch but for actual 'wear' it will do very well.