Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asbestos floor tiles?

Posted by ChristopherDuVal (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 15:43

My office has asbestos floor tiles (9x9) which contain I'm told 5-10% asbestos. I've had a rolling chair in there for two years. When I first moved my office in, the tiles had a layer of protective wax. My wife recently noticed that the tiles under the rolling chair have had the wax rubbed off. The tiles are certainly not crumbling away, but probably for the last 6 months to a year, they have not had the wax coating on - it's been rubbed off by the chair. I can take a finger and - drawing it across the tiles - can pick up the tile residue. How much of a health concern is this? I have started the testing for air quality in that room, but it's fairly disconcerting. As I said, the condition has probably been that way for about 6 months or so. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asbestos floor tiles?

Add more floor dressing to the tiles. Most likely what you are seeing on your finger is the floor dressing (wax) residue. Have the floor periodically 'rewaxed'...that should set your mind at ease. However, do not let anyone use a burnisher on the thing (high speed buffer).

Here's a discomforting thought for you...there is a background level of suspended asbestos particles in every cubic meter of air on the planet...some readings higher in certain places. Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral fiber.

If you smoke, quit now.

o
RE: Asbestos floor tiles?

The only time this might be an issue would be if you were removing it with a grinder or anything that would release clouds of the fiber into the air. It could actually be broken and chipped up safely in pieces.

Just wax and buff it..........

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here