Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Subfloor Thickness w/ 3/4' Hardwood (white Oak)

Posted by todds (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 14:28

I am planning on getting 5" Quartersawn 3/4" thick hardwood flooring installed in my home.

The subfloor in the house is currently 1/2" Plywood Sheets. I though I read that 5/8" or 3/4" plywood subfloor was recommended for hardwood. If that is the case I could add another layer as underlayment. Obviously want to keep the height to a min so not sure if 1/4" or 1/2" would be suitable.

Also, I can either add more nails or screw down the existing 1/2" subfloor to the joists. Is screwing preferred over the spiral flooring nails? Want to make sure the floor is as solid and sound as possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Subfloor Thickness w/ 3/4' Hardwood (white Oak)

Either fastening method is fine. If you screw it down use construction screws NOT drywall screws.

Although 5/8" or 3/4" is preferred as a subfloor, I have seen many hardwood floors that went over 1/2" plywood that are just fine. I doubt that a 1/4" overlay is going to do much of anything for you, except maybe prevent the fasteners from blowing though the 1/2" subfloor. Is this a new house? And...or...what is the joist spacing and do you have any sag 'between' the joists?

o

Some of the old timers used to lay out chalk lines on the paper over the joists and nail into the joists as well as in between. This allows the 2" cleats extra holding power.

o

Nailed down flooring sub-floor thickness is mostly to make sure there is adequate holding power in the nails.

Screws are not nearly as much of a problem, but screwed and plugged can lead to splits form drying of the wood between the screws since there will be very little movement of the screws.

Nailed down T&G flooring is only actually fastened on one edge to allow for movement on the otter edge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here