o
which way do my joists run?

Posted by MelissaRDH (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 14:22

How do I figure this out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which way do my joists run?

Do you have access to the plywood subfloor? If you do you can tell by the nailing pattern.

Generally the joist run the with the width of the house not the length.
Now thats generally speaking. Not a 100% all the time fact.

o

Remember that the joists are usually 16" apart so if you find nails closer than 16", they're probably parallel with the joists while the one 16" apart will be perpendicular to the joists.
I have seen maybe one home where the joist spacing was 24".

o

If you have heat registers in the floor, pull off the cover and see which way the ducting runs. Typically it will run along the joist bay.

o

thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here