Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank300

Kahrs Oak San Antonio, 3 strip floor

frank300
17 years ago

I am thinking of having my whole downstairs installed with Kahrs Oak San Antonio, 3strip floor. The cost will probably come out to about $4,000 with tax.

It is an engineered hardwood floor that would be floated and the salesman said I can get one sanding out of it.

I have a few questions.

1 - Does anyone have experience with this floor?

2 - Are there problems with floating an engineered hardwood floor or would glueing be better.

3 - Can you glue an engineered floor over vinyl tiles or would the tiles have to come up first.

Comments (19)

• woozy
    17 years ago

we have the Kahrs Walnut 3 Strip. I totally TOTALLY regret this purchase. 3 strips on one plank. Side seams are very very visible. I consider it a visual insult that I need to look at everyday.

• jerry_t
    17 years ago

I have been installing the Kahrs Woodloc since it came out in 01 I think. Side seams on this product are almost undetectable from a standing position, you have got something wrong somewhere woozy.

Butt seams can be seen but there are not real obvious in normal lighting. It's the best wood engineered longstrip floor I have installed to date. The milling has been excellent.

• krustytopp
    17 years ago

I've had the Kahrs Stockholm red oak for 3 years. No problems so far. But, you can tell that it's floated--there's a very faint "cracking" sound over top of spots where the subfloor is uneven.

• brucerussell
    17 years ago

My mother has red oak monte carlo. Seems are very tight, floor looked very nice, has worn well for past 5 years.

Jerry she has 2 very small patches that looks like the the wood/finish is peeling, about 1 inch by 3 inches or so Any ideas? Warrantee? i know a sand and refinsih woould do the trick but it is not noticable enough to go thru all that. I bet yopu would get more than 1 sand out of the 1/8 inch wear layer.

• termxp
    17 years ago

About 4 months ago we installed the Kahrs San Antonio 3 strip Woodloc as a floating floor with the Kahrs underlayment on concrete (great stuff). I love it. I don't have any problems with the seams or "crackling" as a result of the floating installation. I looked at quite a few floors and I felt comfortable that I could get more than one sanding out of the floor. I guess it depends on how deep you go.

• jerry_t
    17 years ago

Bruce, I would contact Kahrs and see what they have to say. Possibly have a rep to look at the problem.

• popeda
    17 years ago

We floated Kaehrs Amber Ash (builder grade) over a slab and subfloor of plywood and Kaehrs underlay in October. So far we are very pleased with it. There is one spot that gives a little where in our rush we did not add some felt or build up a low spot in the floor, but it is in an out-of-the-way place. Just get that floor even, and you'll like the product very much.

We have done glue-down before and had plenty of issues with the glue as far as clean-up, uneven-ness of application? moisture problems? glue failure? resulting in areas that had to be repaired,etc. We were definitely going to float this one, and glad we did.

• sfpchow_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

My one gripe with Kahrs 3-strip is that each individual strip is very short, 8", 10.5" and 13". It's purely a personal, aesthetic thing. So instead, we're going to use a Kahrs 2-strip product. The individual lengths range from 19.75" - 68.5".

Re the underlayment, is everyone using the Kahrs combo underlayment, the blue plastic, with little white styrofoam beads? Is that enough? It looks so thin! I saw another product, Floor Muffler, highly touted on FastFloors.com. Anyone have experience with this product? Is it ok to use with Kahrs products?

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor Muffler

• jerry_t
    17 years ago

I have used quite a bit of FloorMuffler, but not underneath Kahrs. I have not read Kahrs specs lately but they were very specific on staying with their system and using their underlayments. Personally, I like the Kahrs padding better than FloorMuffler anyway.

• sheppardk
    17 years ago

I have Kahrs Reg Oak Gent - 3 strip. Floated over concrete slab. 6 years, 2 kids. Still looks new.

Jerry_t - which underlayment - Kahrs combo or Kahrs QuietStride?

• sheppardk
    17 years ago

I have Kahrs Reg Oak Gent - 3 strip. Floated over concrete slab. 6 years, 2 kids. Still looks new.

Jerry_t - which underlayment - Kahrs combo or Kahrs QuietStride? How does 6mm cork stack up in performance?

• jerry_t
    17 years ago

I have been using the combo, but I am hearing very good things about the QuietStride resulting in a less "hollow sound" floor. I intend to use that on my next Kahrs install.

• linnea1
    17 years ago

I'm thinking of using Kahrs Presidents' Collection in Grant or Washington in my kitchen in a dark color. Does anyone have experience with this line? I'm concerned about scratches as we have a 50 lb. labrador puppy. Should I avoid the engineered wood and go with tile or can I go with my heart and the Kahrs? Thanks for any feedback.

• sheppardk
    17 years ago

I think I will try the QuietStride. I will reply with the results. Kinda off topic - I want to use flush stair nosing where the floor meets the top of the stairs. Unless I start there, I will end up needing to rip a piece of the longstrip so I will have no woodlock groove. How can I attach the stair nosing? Is the proper way to get the kahrs router bit and route a groove in the longstrip and then get the flush tongue and groove stair nose and use a kahrs spline to join?

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Kars Trims

• jerry_t
    17 years ago

I would not do it that way sheppardk, thats why Kahrs has both types of nosing's. Use the overlap profile to meet the flooring, the flush profile is intended only for stair treads that need no expansion room. You need to allow for some movement alway around the entire installation perimeter.

• sheppardk
    17 years ago

Thanks. That makes sense and was confirmed by Kahrs. I will let you know how it goes.

• avivacarol
    12 years ago

I would like to revisit the question of Karhs 3-strip. I am consdiering the Karhs 3-strip in Red Oak Denver (maybe a white oak instead) and would like to hear from those who have used this or the 2-strip product. I am looking at this as a floating floor in my liv rm and kitchen. About 500 square feet condo in CA.

Here is a link: http://www.efloors.com/product/7203/4267/kahrs-original-american-naturals-collection-red-oak-denver-58-x-7-78-engineered-hardwood-153n19er50kw.htm

* Which product did you use?
    * Do the "strips" bug you?
    * Do the seems and butts show much? * How is the finish
    * Does the floor look busy?
    * What do you like and dislike about the floor.
    * How has the color of floor changed with sun exposure. Do you still like it?

Photos appreciated! Thanks so much,

Carol
    avivacarol@aol.com

• Katrina Tate
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

bumping up....anyone else use Kahrs 3 strip? Reviews?

We are looking at Walnut Montreal

Vanwoods