Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install tile over sealed concrete?

Posted by fedude (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 13:11

3 year old home with a concrete basement floor. When the concrete guys finished the floor, they applied a sealer to it. The floor has a dull shine.

I want to install 18x18 ceramic tiles on the floor (approx 800 sq ft). I've heard I will have to grind off this sealer before I can install tile.

Anybody know what this means and what this would cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install tile over sealed concrete?

If it is, indeed sealed, you'll need to "scarify" it to allow proper adhesion of the tile. First, sprinkle some water on it to see if it beads up or absorbs it. If it hasn't absorbed it within fifteen minutes or so, it's sealed.

Scarification is done with a grinder and a cupped, diamond wheel. They're available and reasonably priced, but do generate copious amounts of dust. Some companies, like Alpha have systems for this that also attach to a shop vac to minimize this dust....but it's still messy. Wetting down the floor as you go will help.

As to what it would cost, that varies from place to place. All you can do is inquire locally at some tile shops and see if anyone is willing to take it on...and at what cost.

As an "aside," with an 18" tile, flatness of the slab is essential. With a long straitedge, you should have a variation of no more than 1/8" in 10 feet. If you do, you'll need to address that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here