Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
altonh

Laminate Floor - Glue or T-molding

altonh
13 years ago

Hi,

The planks in my hall will be perpendicular to the planks in the adjoining rooms. How do I connect them together? Most of what I've read so far suggests using a T-molding. But I don't like using them. What I want is something like in this picture:

http://www.humanisdesign.com/champagneflooring/images/changedirection.jpg

How did they do this? Did they just glue them together?

Tks.

Comments (9)

• glennsfc
    13 years ago

If yours is a naildown or gluedown floor, then reversing direction is exactly what you see in the picture. Your installer ought to be able to do this with no problem, and...if not...then find a competent and skilled installer.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

You cannot do that with laminate flooring if it's installed as a floating floor. That is a picture of real wood I assume where it is nailed down. You would have to use a raised transition.

• altonh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your replies.

But this is what I don't understand. If I lay them all in one direction I don't need any transitions, right? So does that mean that laminate floors expand only in one direction?

• echoflooring
    13 years ago

Many manufacturers and please notice I say many or most require a transition at all doorways regardless of room size. I have never understood the theory with a floating laminate, however we were turned down on a claim because of it, although it had nothing to do with the problem. It is now our policy that any doorway under 4 feet requires a t mold. PS..that is a hardwood in the picture.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Last year we had 1300 sq ft of Bruce laminate installed and we did NOT have transitions in our doorways. There was nothing in the installation literature from Bruce that required it. You simply have to be mindful of the recommended maximum run length (these are different for each manufacturer) and you must have the right expansion zone around the perimeter of the room to allow for both width and length expansion. IMHO laminate transitions are unsightly and if you can avoid them, I would suggest it.

However, if you want to run your laminate in that perpendicular arrangement, you MUST have a transition because they are not nailed or glued down and there will be a gap between where one section ends and the other laminate begins in the opposite direction. If you want the transition to be more attractive, I would suggest finding a woodworker who can make one that is stained to match your flooring. It will last a lot longer and will look more professional than the factory-made vinyl-wrapped pseudo-wood ones that are available through the laminate companies.

• altonh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The reason why I hate transitions is because they are raised, and that ruins the 'flow' of the floor. I don't really mind if they are not exactly stained.

What I am thinking is to cut the groove(or tongue) and just use glue where the two section meets so there wont be any gaps. But I never read anyone making this suggestion.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

No one has made this suggestion because it's a bad idea for laminate flooring. Those ends must be able to expand and contract so, therefore, there must be a gap left between them.

If you want a floor constructed in that way, you must buy either an engineered floor or solid wood not laminate.

• altonh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now let us assume that the planks expand in all direction. If one plank expands then it would push the surrounding planks and so on. So regardless whether you join the plank through its tongue and groove or glue it the reaction should be the same. Therefore, what is important is to put enough space on the outer edge for the expansion, isn't it?