Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowdavis

transition

Rosemary Davis
12 years ago

We recently bought a home and are planning to remodel. The kitchen and family room beyond have high quality 1/2" engineered hardwood flooring over a crawl space and basement. We want to take out a kitchen wall and open up the kitchen into the living and dining room. Problem: The 1/2 oak engineered wood flooring is no longer available. How do I transition to a different hardwood? I HATE T MOLD TRANSITION STRIPS!!!!!The transitions will be on either side of an island. One side is 42" and the other 48+".

I found a similar half inch 3" wide plank flooring-- Somerset hardwood EP312HO--it is similar in color and sheen. I am not sure that butting them together will work. I want a creative solution to the transition.

Have considered a 4ft stip of another flooring maybe a Luxury Vinyl Tile or another color engineered hardwood. This would run the entire 20 ft of the room past the transition openings and on the living room side of the island. Would really like to use a porclain tile transition about 4' wide but I believe it would be too high once laid and that would just compound the transition problem.

I prefer not to use a darker hardwood for the whole new area but a transition area or border is an option.

Any suggestions?

bowdavis

Comments (4)