Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's on my floor and how to remove it?

Posted by amaryllis52 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 12:32

Any ideas about what is on my kitchen floor and how (or whether) to remove it? I was planning to strip a kitchen floor down to a decent surface then put on peel & stick vinyl tiles. After taking off two layers of vinyl and adhesive, I thought I had a good enough surface but a local handyman says I should go down to the plywood underlayment and put 1/4" plywood over that.

-What is on the floor? The top layer is a thin material with a smooth surface, a blue backing, and a middle consisting of gray fibers like cardboard. This is glued to a lower layer of some rough material that crumbled when heated, with a cardboard-like backing. The handyman thinks I have 2 layers of old linoleum from the 1950s-60s, but I don't know.

-Do I have to remove this stuff? I thought I could put new tile on top of what I now have, since the old vinyl tile was stuck to it pretty well. The top layer is discolored but it's not sticky at all, though I would need to glue some of it down a little better and patch a bit. Maybe a floor primer would make it a decent surface? (Covering all with thin plywood isn't an option.)

-How do you remove this stuff? If I wanted to strip the remaining stuff (whatever it is), what's the best way?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's on my floor and how to remove it?

BTW, that top layer covers the entire kitchen in two thin sheets, one about 6'x9', the other about 4'x9'.

o

Got a photo?

o

Some of those old floor coverings from the 50 and 60's are made with asbestos and should NOT be removed or disturbed in any way. Scraping and sanding can cause asbestos to become airborne and is dangerous to your health and the health of anyone nearby.

If your handyman does not know what this flooring is made of, then call in someone who can accurately identify the flooring in question. If it does contain asbestos, then you can likely add a layer of new subfloor over the top and start fresh, thus encapsulating the old flooring and not disturbing it. I highly suggest you take a look at the http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/ website to learn more about asbestos and how to deal with it properly.

Here is a link that might be useful: AbcCarpets.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here