Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyjane_gw

Overlapping roller marks on stained floor

KYJane
10 years ago

Hi all,

Our white oak floor was just stained Tuesday. I had noticed from some big windows that you can see where the roller has overlapped on the floor during the staining process. I assumed it was because it was still wet. But looking at it yesterday, I still see the marks.

Is this normal? The sealer, Bona Naturale, is going to be applied Monday. Will the Naturale make the marks go away? Or will they show through?

If I have a problem, I need to know ASAP so I can tell them to stop and correct, before any more time and man power is wasted.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Most important thing is to fix any mistake prior to any top coat being applied.

That being said since you only have the stain and no top coat yet. The floor isnt going to look perfect. The appearance changes with each coat. What you may see as a flaw could easily be corrected once the first and second coats get applied.

The thing im more concerned about us why are you waiting multiple days to get that first coat applied?

Even though the floor is stained that alone holds essentially NO protection from and traffic or pets.

Last thing ill say is you could be right and the overlapping marks need attention but i cant see your floor (no pics) so i cant be more help

• KYJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks gregmills for your input!

I can see were you are concerned about the floor not having a sealer. I guess I should have stated this is a NEW CONSTRUCTION.

The flooring people people had to order the Bona Naturale. They were hoping it would be in to start sealing Friday. Now it looks like Monday. Since the fine sanding, and the stain has been applied, all doors are locked, "Wet Floor, Do Not Enter" signs taped to doors, AND bright green tape placed over the door entrances. So, I'm fairly certain no one has entered the house.

So, you think that once the Bona is applied we will not be able to see the overlapping marks from the stain application? I hope you are correct. The floor already had to be resanded once for the wrong stain color. It was a shame to think of all the time and energy wasted because of the first mistake. We have the right color now, and I'd hate to see the floor need to be resanded AGAIN, because of another problem.

Thanks

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Okay thats good that everything is locked down and sealed up.

I cant say for sure that adding the first coat will take care of it. Because i cant see the floor.

I know that when i stain floors there are normally one or two things that see which look "off" but i know from experience that its just how the stain has absorbed into the floor and that once the first coat is applied things look like they are suppose to.

Also if there is a heavy overlap mark on my floors i can fix that while i apply my top coat.

I suggest you bring the questionable spot to your floor guy and see what he says.

• KYJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took some pictures for you to see. But a having problems pasting them. Let me keep trying.

• KYJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea! Pictures!!
    This is from a big window looking thru dining room floor

• KYJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is from other side dining room floor.

• KYJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same picture, just not zoomed in.

The marks showed up fairly well considering it was from my iphone.

Well, what are everyones thougths. Is this something that will go away when the sealer is put over it? Or do we need to have everything resanded.....again?

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

How did they stain the floor? With a buffer or by hand?

Appreciate the pics it helps.

Honestly it doesnt look bad. What your seeing is just light reflecting off the floor similar to that when you see a fresh mowed lawn. How you can see shading in each row. The grass isnt a different color its just the light.

I think you are seeing kinda the same thing. I do believe its going to be fine. Now if there were a heavy spot where the stain didnt get wiped off then that would need to be address.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022