Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christians1

asbestos vinyl flooring??

christians1
9 years ago

Hello, I recently pulled up the vinyl flooring in our kitchen.. We ripped it up.. then scraped it up and sanded the floor.

I then realized that the backing could be asbestos.. I am worried sick..as my wife and kinds were all around as this is a very small house.

My house was build in 1970. Im not sure if this is the original floor but there was only plywood under it.. so it might be.

I had a piece of the flooring tested for asbestos but they said it was not asbestos. I emailed them asking if they had enough to test and are they sure..as i am very very worried. They responded with the following:

"The vinyl sheet flooring includes the paper backing and it is 20% cellulose with no asbestos detected."

The weird thing is that looking on the web.. I know i saw fibers in the paper backing. They said that was just fiberglass in the paper. The paper back was a light grey.

Does anyone have any experience with this?? Should I trust the test? or take it to another place for another test..are the tests accurate?

Thanks!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County