Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bew19

Flooring: Oak or Pine? (Living Room)

bew19
10 years ago

Hi,

We are trying to figure out if our floors are oak or pine (or something else!).

Please share your thoughts!

Thanks,
Brooke

Comments (21)

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

Looks like pine to me.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

That i can see the grain better. Its oak. But pictures are tough to tell and the old varnish makes it harder but if i was a betting man id say Oak.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

From looking at the floorboards - it looks like it's a subfloor. The boards are wide, and don't appear to be T&G - and there are wide gaps between the boards. I highly doubt anyone would use oak for a subfloor, nor would they nail through 3/4" oak. This leads me to believe they are pine.

• bew19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Geoffrey & Greg! Here's a closer photo in case it's helpful . . . also, it's an old house (pre-1800) and the floors were put down right on top of beams.

• User
    10 years ago

Pine subfloor. Not intended for a finished floor.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Im 100% positive its oak. Not pine. Grain structure doesnt even come close to looking like pine. Thanks for posting a close up picture. I thought one of your other pictures was pine but that last pic you posted is without a doubt Oak.

• bew19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!

Greg, this is a close up photo from another room in the house. Do you feel certain that this is also oak? I ask because it's an old house and some floors in the house look very different from each other -- guessing because the house expanded over the years and they used whatever was available at the time for floor boards.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

It looks different. Can you post a different close up of the same room?
    Sometimes the wood can be tricky to identify and having more than one picture can help.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I can tell by the knot - it is pine.

So why do you want to know? What's your intent?

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

I guess you gonna tell me this is pine too....cuz of the knot.

• bew19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are additional photos of the floor in this room of the house (a bedroom). [Photo1]

FYI, I want to know what I have as I'm putting down wood floors where there was carpet and I'd like to match as much as possible what is already in the house.

• bew19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are additional photos of the floor in this room of the house (a bedroom). [Photo2]

• bew19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are additional photos of the floor in this room of the house (a bedroom). [Photo3]

• bew19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are additional photos of the floor in this room of the house (a bedroom). [Photo4]

• bew19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are additional photos of the floor in this room of the house (a bedroom). [Photo5]

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I vote for pine (in this and all the others) because I'm not seeing some of the characteristics of old oak. The color, for example is right for pine, and oak goes browner.

The rooms will look different because of different light exposures and cleaning histories.

If matching is the issue, get samples of various pine floorings of the right width and see what works for you.

• Dan
    8 years ago

Hi,

Can you help me identify this floor?

Thanks,

Dan

• gregmills_gw
    8 years ago

Dan thats pine

• PRO
    National Hardwood Flooring & Supplies
    8 years ago

Look like pine.

• Catherine Katona
    7 years ago

Could someone please advise what type of wood is here? Heart Pine, Knotty Pine, Oak? House was built in 1970. Planks range from 1 ft to 7 ft long but are pretty narrow. Thanks in advance.