Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help removing asbestos tiles

Posted by James0612 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 11:42

I was going to put new ceramic tiles on the kitchen floor, but when I removed the transition between the wood floor and ceramic tiles I saw vinyl tiles under the ceramic tiles I don't know if the vinyl tile are asbestos or not . My question is how I would remove the ceramic tiles without disturbing the vinyl tiles and is it safe to DIY if it is asbestos tiles (I'm running on a low budget).

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help removing asbestos tiles

If you can assess the age of the vinyl tile it will tell you whether it is likely to contain asbestos. Later 1970's and beyond is most likely asbestos free.

You are not going to remove the ceramic without disturbing the vinyl. Just not going to happen.

You have to research asbestos and see how you feel about it. You will get people on any board that think it is a crisis and then you will get a whole range of other opinions.

This is my personal opinion - disease from exposure to asbestos requires a long standing exposure to it. And everyone that has the exposure does not get lung disease from it. It is a fiber, in tile and adhesive it is not extremely likely that large quantities will be airborne. I personally would never knowingly tear into somethng with asbestos fibers such as insulation but I do not hesitate to pull up asbestos tile. I wet it, wear a dust mask and take it up in as whole as pieces as possible. I would not sand asbestos tile or adhesive containing asbestos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here