Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring options in unheated space

Posted by crg1641 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 11:25

We need to replace the flooring in a small guest cabin at our lake property. The current floors are tile, (likely vinyl asbestos, so we don't want to remove it) Because there is quite a bit of sand in the area, I'd like a hard surface that sweeps up easily. Although it is a small space--less than 600 sf--it is unheated, and the temperature in the winter drops below freezing. The walls and ceiling are knotty pine, so I'm shying away from a wood floor. I think it would feel like being inside a packing crate. Any suggestions for a reasonably-priced floor? Not interested a a DIY project.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring options in unheated space

More tile perhaps? VCT tile (vinyl composition) is what you will find in most supermarkets and some department stores. It is inexpensive, durable and comes in a vast array of color choices. Maintenance is floor polish on a cleaned surface to prevent staining of the tile (no big deal).

I did two such cabins for customers and both were successful. One was an Armstrong product called Designer II Solarian sheet vinyl (no longer available) and the other was an LVT (laminated vinyl tile) that was adhered to the wooden substrate with an epoxy flooring adhesive.

The Designer Solarian went over a genuine linoleum floor that had been in service in that cabin for thirty or more years and showed absolutely no effects from the freeze/thaw cycle. So, genuine linoleum might be something for you to consider. That also would require some maintenance on your part (floor polish or dressing on occasion).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here