Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete floor in winter?

Posted by GAinWM (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 11:23

I am in the process of choosing new flooring for my lower level family room. My house is a bi-level (raised ranch) in West Michigan. The carpet needs to be replaced, but after a recent sump pump failure, I am nervous about putting in a floor that can be destroyed by water. I have been researching acid-stained concrete which is appealing to my eye, but I am wondering how comfortable this would be in the winter. Does anyone have experience with a concrete floor in a living area during the winter? Also, what about scratching from dogs and cats? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete floor in winter?

It's going to feel cold. Go outside on a 55 degree day and stand on concrete in your bare or stocking feet and you'll have a idea of what a concrete floor in your basement will feel like.

There's some great options for stamped concrete. Something like this might look really sharp in a basement - the appearance of wood with the durability of concrete. Add some area rugs to provide comfort but those can still be taken up and cleaned if the need arises.

If you're going to finish a basement, a backup sump pump in always a wise investment.

o
RE: Concrete floor in winter?

Thanks for your response Mike. We had a backup sump pump. Last year I had the laundry room finished with toilet, sink, shower and the plumber made some assumptions about the type of pump we had. He didn't check to see if his assumptions were correct unfortunately. He should have installed a grinder pump, I found out a little too late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here