Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Flooring Project - Costs seem right?

Posted by briankort (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 11:17

We are about to add unfinished A1 Select 2 1/4 inch red oak flooring to our house. This will be sanded and finished with 3 coats Red Mohogany stain and a matte finish. We are covering approximately 2200 sq ft at a cost of $12,296 or ~$5.58 per sq ft complete.

Does this price sound about right for this kind of job?

We are also finishing the stairs which currently have a red oak rail with a natural finish. We were wonder what the best option would be to make the railing match the floor color. My understanding is that sanding off the exitisting finish could be a tough approach, was wondering if there were alternatives.

Thanks for you help/advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Flooring Project - Costs seem right?

How long has the Sand & Finish Company been in business? Can you get references? Can you see two or three jobs this company had done?

The quality of the material and craftsmanship will determine if the price is "about right".

o

We used these guys at our prior house a couple of years ago, but for a much smaller job, and the flooring was pre-finished. Had no problems with their work. They have done work on several friends floors as well, but I think they all also went with pre-finish.

The workers a fairly young Argentinians that have been doing flooring for years. They work like machines when they prep and start the install - it's actually fun to watch.

When I check prices online it is hard to compare because there may be hidden fees.

o

We charge more than that just for the labor portion. Are they legit? do they have insurance, workman's comp etc?

o

I paid a similar amount per sq for an install in Denver. About 5.75/sq ft.

o

I would think the price is right...but pre-finish vs. site finish are two different animals. Check our their larger site finished jobs. Check them out now..and dont assume anything..check them out cus if they are not great site finish guys..you will kick yourselves big time for not investigating. Gook Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here