Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenlover_gw

Anyone used the Dream Home laminate from LL?

kitchenlover
18 years ago

My boyfriend is remodeling his kitchen and we are most likely going to go with a laminate floor because of cost, ease of installation, durability, etc.

I noticed Lumber Liquidators sells a brand called Dream Home for 99 cents a square foot. Has anyone used this in their home and how did it go down, is it wearing well, etc.?

I've seen the cheap laminates HD and Lowes sells and I'm not so sure about the quality. I think at those stores unless you pay top dollar (i.e. Pergo) you're getting crap.

Comments (70)

• bzilber_optonline_net
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Was researching Dream Home laminates and came across this forum. Have installed quite a few laminate floors (can't have any carpets in the house). Few tools to make job easier:
    Combo Pull Bar by Bullet Tools, $17 at www.installertools.com, soft had dead-blow mallet, Shaw Flooring dual size plastic tap block. Those who do lots of floors should also check out "Lam Hammer" at www.LamHammer.com". For laminate floors get Standard ($85) or Atlas ($95) model and 9" ($20) extension. Also get a 3/4" pipe clamp with a 2'-3'pipe and a 3'-4' 2by2 board.

To keep raws from sliding, cut some 3" wide strips of 1/4" plywood (or sacrifice couple of floor planks) and screw them (NOT nail) to the STUDS placing screws about 1.5" above floor to the left wall that perpendicular to the raws you laying, as well as behind 1st raw. (The strips must touch the floor!). This will prevent the laminate from sliding when you tapping it - and no matter what manufacturers say, you will ALWAYS end up tapping it in place. For that reason by planks with beveled edges - it prevents boards from chipping if you tap too hard.

To move single raw left or right without disturbing the rest of the flooring:
    1. Brace raws below and above the one you need to move at the wall toward which the movement will occur by attaching spacer strips as described above.
    2. Hook the raw you moving with the Bullet pull bar.
    3. Put a 6"hx20"l board against the wall directly above pull bar.
    4. Connect sliding piece of 3/4" pipe clamp to the pull bar.
    5. Brace 2by2 board against the wall (so its end rests on the 6"x12" board and not sheetrock)on one side and against pipe clamp screw head on the other. This way, when you start titening the clamp, it will push against the board and move the pull bar towards opposite wall.
    6. Make pencil mark across 2 rows so you can see how much movement occurred by checking frequently how far apart the pencil marks are. Proceed SLOWLY!!! Remember that the floor, the board and the wall would flex a bit, so after every detectable movement release pressure from the clamp and check the actual position of the raw to make sure you didn't move it too far.

If using underlayment for your laminate installation, consider "Quiet Walk" brand, $30 for a 3'x33' roll (100 sq feet). It's a great product that reduces noise, provides moisture barrier, leak protection and insulation from cement floors, while giving you a smooth, durable easy to use surface to lay the floor on.

Hope this was helpfull.

• gramtothree_comcast_net
    16 years ago

Just had 600sf installed....I'm not confident enough to try this type of work myself, especially after reading some of these horror stories!! I made the contractor's guys remove and reinstall the whole floor because they had lined up almost all of the boards so the floors looked like a chalk line was snapped every 3 feet or so. That only required two extra boxes of boards, and when the guys were finished it looked great. So far no other problems, and I'm hoping that it will last for a long time to come. If I had found this site before going to LL, I'm not sure I would have used this product. With a 50/50 rating I wouldn't have wanted to take the chance. I will say this; there's a lot to be said for hiring contractors because if they screw up, it's out of their pocket, not yours!

• leebo95
    16 years ago

I am glad I saw this thread. I was ready to go buy 500 SFT of this today. I may have to eat the cost and buy Pergo or a flooring from Lowes or HD.
    Are those other brands any better?
    Lee

• trailrider
    16 years ago

My wife and I installed the mountain pine this weekend and loved it. It is not hard to install after you learn a trick or two. It is the best laminate we have seen, not cheap glossy looking like the ones at the big box centers. I would reccomend purchasing the installation kit from HD instead of LL . It is much better quality.
    I would suggest
    1. get installation kit from H.D.
    2. seat you ends after folding lengthwise by hand the tap the edges until seated.
    3.DO not use the pull bar anywhere that will show (just on the outside where the quarter round will cover. It will chip the edges. Only use the tapping block you can get aggressive with it.

• elli_osborn
    15 years ago

Well...after purchasing 1200 sq ft of Dream Home - Nirvana (Mountain Pine) we went online to do a little home work on how to put this stuff together and came across these discouraging messages. We probably will still put this down but we have no idea how this is going to go. We know it will be challenging but we are up for it, we just dont want to put it all down and say "crap" why did we do that! Anyone have any words of wisdom or encouragement?

• jamie78730
    15 years ago

We just purchased and installed 1100 sq ft of the St. James Collection Bond Street Teak (a walnut color) from the Dream Home series at LL for $2.39/sq ft. Maybe its the series I bought, but there was no frustrating tapping involved, just throwing down the moisture barrier, taping the seams, putting shims against the walls, and snapping the planks into place one row at a time (of course there were cuts at the end of the rows). The only tough part was the prep work because we had to take up 170 sq feet of tile (let me know if you need advice on that), cleaning up all the dust, and waiting 72 hours to let the packages acclimatize.

We got samples from other manufacturers and the quality was not there--most cost twice as much with half the warranty, they were thin, didn't look durable, some didn't come with the padding attached, had fakey looking grain patterns, and the wood colors just weren't believable.

I really do have a Dream Home now!

• teddrh5511
    15 years ago

We just purchased 400 sqft of the Utopia oak flooring for our game/garage floor. It was the cheapest of all at 69 cents a sqft but with the recommendations from the LL sales person the floor went down just as it should. I am legally blind with macular degenaration and for me it was a simple snap and tap installation.
    The recommendation I can give to 1st timers "like me" is to purchase the LL tool kit along with the extra tapping block otherwise you could damage the edges or chip the laminate. I found that if you slide the panels back and forth when attaching the panels everything comes togeter just fine. Now I have a "Dream Home" game room that all of our friends and family love.

It is really Simple just follow the directions from LL and Dream Home, you can't Go wrong.

By the way, there are alot of "How To" videos on Youtube to check out, they really helped me!

Tedd Herndon
    White Water, California

• debbiemarie
    15 years ago

To Jamie78730, I have been researching LL and have settled on the same flooring. I've been looking for a darker floor that wasn't oak or too red in color. I'm looking for more of a chocolate/dark brown shade and from what I can see on LL website, St. James Bond Streak Teak seems to suit my needs. Now that you have had it installed for a few days, are you still happy with it, any cons? After reading all the negative posts, I'm really nervous about using LL. Any tricks on installation you can share? I would love to see pics. We are going to install in our kitchen, breakfast and dining rooms after we tear up our linoleum and hardwood floor. We are hoping by putting down one material, it will make the rooms flow together and look larger. Thanks for any information you can share on your experience.

• debbiemarie
    15 years ago

Please see my post regarding your post of LL Dreamhome Laminate flooring.

• bnminco_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

We just installed the first half of 650 sq ft of Dream Home Nirvana French Oak. It was our first installation of flooring and went in very easy without much effort. The planks fit tight, and it's a lot better quality for half the price of Pergo. ($1.69 sq/ft from LL with the padding on the planks.) Our house is a whole different place. A couple of tools help. An electric miter saw (for angles), table saw (for ripping), and a jigsaw (for small cuts) were an immense help. I found all three on Craigslist for less than $100 total. I couldn't imagine doing this with hand tools or just a skilsaw. Also, the install kit is a necessity. Also....don't be intimidated by stairs. They are easy, and make a great impression. They do take a bit of time though. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask. Like someone else said, when you start you feel really dumb. When you're done, you feel like an expert.

• vanbach
    15 years ago

I am contemplating putting in a Dream Home product, specifically, the Nirvana Canary Island Pine. This product is a little different in that it is only 3 1/2" wide planks rather than the 7 5/8". I like the smaller planks because it gives a more natural look, although it's a little more expensive. My question is, has anyone had any experience installing the smaller planks? If so, what can you tell me about it? Is it easier or harder? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• nik211
    15 years ago

I heard great things about the Dream Home St James Rosewood Laminate - it's around $2.40 sq/ft I think....It is one of the nicest laminates I have seen and we are considering it for our home. It's probably the nicest thing I have seen in our budget so far - my concern is scratching since it has a more glossy finish but I haven't seen that many reviews on their products until this thread.

• longa50
    14 years ago

Just installed 800 sq ft of Dream Home Nervania French Oak in my daughters home, purchased from LL on sale for $1.29 sq ft. Same specs as comparable Pergo from Home Depot for 1/3rd price. Didn't plan on installing it since I'm not a carpenter, just an average joe homeowner. Installation was another $1.99 a sq foot, so figured I'd try myself. Bought the yellow bucket of installation tools from LL for around $30.00. No problem installing it whatsover, just follow the direction's. It looks beautiful. Time consuming part was removing the carpet. I read all the previous reviews posted here, and there are some stupid people out there including the guy that claims he's a carpenter by trade. Don't hire him for sure! I've had some of those so called experts knock on my door.. Do it yourself with confidence.

• clg7067
    14 years ago

There are reviews on the LL website. The reviews for the higher priced product are mostly positive. As the price decreases, so does the positiveness of the reviews.

• janekay
    13 years ago

purchased from ll dream home 12mm nantucket beech laminate. It's going into a hair salon and really concerned about noise even if it does have 3mm underlayment attached. Anyone know how the sound is with this? Should I lay another underlayment with it.

• mark_sage_zoomtown_com
    13 years ago

I have used Armstrong and Bruce 8mm products, now looking at the Dream Home St. James 12mm. Advice from my experience...if you want pre-bonded underlayment, consider 10-12mm thick planks, and the wider the better. There will be gaps in the underlayment under the plank joints, making the joints "work", as the planks "roll". Fewer joints and stiffer planks are manditory!!! Also look for density in the pad - foam compression will "work" the joints, too!

• Partylike1899_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have not installed this brand, buy I have installed others. It seems to me the problem most in this thread had is they built their floors BACKWARDS! You don't tap on the tongue side. You cut the tongue off the first row and put that side against the wall. Ignore everyone who talks about tapping on the tongue side. They can't follow instructions.

• teleport097_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I installed 120 SF Pergo about 3 years ago and have just purchased 190 sf of Dream Home toasted chicory 12mm laminate. I was brushing up on installing as I had problems with the first few rows of the Pergo. One thing I thought I remembered was that the tongue is cut off of the first row and placed against the wall. After reading the posts and listening to people trying to snap it by tapping the grooved side into the tongue I can only guess pieces had to be scrapped. Not sure how this brand is supposed to be installed but I think Mark has it correct in his post. You can install the remaining pieces by tipping the board at a 30 degree angle. Set them in the tongue and snap them in. I also found that creating the whole length of each row by putting all of the butt joints together first and then snapping the whole length into the previous row works well. This may take help to align the length of the whole row to the previous row. Found that I did very little tapping which seems to throw everything out of square. Also full length 1/2 inch wood spacers also help. The small ones in the kits when used on the ends seem to cause floor to flex out of square.

• hollis_corey_ymail_com
    13 years ago

one thing you should know about LL is that all of the products they sell are not straight from the mills. they are full of crap. most of there products are mixed qualities relabled that is why some of you say its good some say it sucks. everything they get is imported from somewhere purchased by a company and then relabled so getting a warranty claim is not going to go well for you. try using the internet for your research, instead of asking other people (who are mostly sales people) look at website ratings on products and compare and you will not like what you find about most companies and so called brands. try finding dream home anywhere or any one of the products that they sell for that matter. the big problem is people want it cheaper and cheaper and cheaper, then you wanna complain. next research first because cheaper isnt better. bruce and armstrong are not bad, im a big fan of quickstep and columbia. quickstep is one of the highest rated laminates and patented the uniclick system, easiest install in my opinion, made in europe where laminates where founded by the way. so again do your research there is more to a floor that just the look, with laminates you have the finish and warranty but also the attachment the core is a big one especially with spills. most cheap laminates use less resin in the core which can make them absorb moisture faster than others as well. but also the company is a big deal, check out the reviews on LL, you will see some pretty nasty things. anyways thought i would put in my two cents!!!!

• hvillechas_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

I installed 600 sq ft of the Dream Home Charisma this week. Any other contractors/handymen may want to avoid pricing installation based upon other products installed previously.
    This was a nightmare for me. The install took at least three times as long as the last job I did. (Sam's club $1.29/ft perbacked). Although it looks fine, when a job is this difficult, I am never happy with the results.
    As for hints. I liked locking entire rows at the tilt angle, then tapping them with a hammer and scrap piece of flooring. Watch for separations throughout the project.

• chall09student_gmail_com
    13 years ago

We just purchased this flooring for living room and dining room. Other than the daily dust mopping, it is not bad. Lately though, because we are still in the throws of remodeling, I have noticed spots and other stuff accumulateing on the floor.

Rather than walk every three millimeters to wipe up spills and such, does anyone know of proper cleaning methods for this stuff? The flooring place recommended a spray bottle of stuff for occasional spills but nothing else. Suggestions?
    thank you

• GRANDPE02_MSN_COM
    12 years ago

i recently perchased 1000sq ft.of dream home french oak. big mistake. LL was no help at all. the boards were very warped,and chipped after laying. and it can't be cleaned with out leaving streaks. and seems LL they have never heard this from anyone before.wish I would have checked the internet frist.this stuff is garbage, I USED COLUMBIA CLICK 8YRS AGO AND IT IS STILL BEAUTIFULL.

• jjjmingle
    12 years ago

This is an update to a 3 y/o post. I'm now ready to say that this was a great purchase and I LOVE my still new-looking flooring. I've had no problems with it; no creaking, buckling, scratching, etc. Cleaning is a breeze...light dustmopping for little used areas, and Swiffer for kitchen and laundry areas. We did place felt pads under all the chairs and tables to prevent possible scratches, but I'm not sure that was necessary. I have no regrets, given the negative reviews I've read. I still maintain, though, that if are someone who won't read and follow directions, or you do not have experience in installing this type of flooring (or doing any other major project) you should hire a contractor. It isn't worth the savings to do it yourself if you have to purchase more product to fix your mistakes!

• acpageus_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hello all,

I'm considering installing about 900 sqft of DreamHome Nirvana in Boa Vista Brazilian Cherry color. After reading all the posts I am confident that if I follow the directions I will have a beautiful floor.

But I do have one question that I do not see and answer to. The instructions for install state that if the floor will be more than 27ft wide or long in any direction a t-spacer needs to be used. For those that have installed this flooring what were your largest dimensions. Mine will be about 29ft, and I fear that if the expansion gaps at the walls are not perfect I will have binding and possible peaks in the floor.

What do you all think? I would like a seamless look and feel t-spacers will break up the floor too much.

Thanks, Adam

• lindachip
    12 years ago

just discovered that Dream Home laminate is made in CHINA. I then made the decision to go with Pergo because it is made in the U. S. I also believe that Dream Home is an inferior product.

• BLINDMAN49
    12 years ago

before you buy the laminate flooring be sure and ask if it is pet stain resistant. the salesman who sold me the stuff never got into specifics such as if you spill a cup of water or your dog has an accident on it it will buckle if not cleaned right away. this stuff is not what was presented to me. i asked the sales man if it was pet resistant and he said yes. of course i have no proof so i am out of luck. you have to pamper this stuff and the warranty only covers the finish. be carefull when ordering. i would have been better off with carpet. the sales people are misleading and dishonorable

• tomkc1
    12 years ago

I installed two rooms of Nirvana French Oak three years ago in my beach cottage and it has held up well. The cottage has no heat in the winter and still the flooring has held up well.
    So last week I decided to pull up the old carpet in our year round home and put down 200 sq ft of French Oak. I bought the product from L.L. (laminate is not returnable at L.L.) then read the reviews here. That night I had a minor panic attack thinking what if the product is really as bad as some people make it out to be.
    Not to worry. The flooring is down, it looks great and it was extremely easy to install. I found the locking system to be almost foolproof. I'm very pleased with how nice the project came out.
    The only negatives I have to say is 1. I didn't know it was made in China and 2. a few pieces did chip as I tapped them in. I might have been at fault there, not sure.

• myersbw
    11 years ago

Looks like this thread is testing time! :) Yeah, I bought DreamHome St. James Toasted Chicory (12mm). Installed 650 sq. ft of it on top a slab (used the vapor barrier & went to town). Like others, I found it cut well with a compound mitre saw, table saw for rips, and a jigsaw for small notching.

I'll also say that, given cuts...dusting can build up. I cut outside and swiped each board before entering the house, making sure I got the tongue & groove well. Since it's thicker, it was more prone to not doing a solid lock. So, I also used the plastic seating block kit. The tapping affirmed there was a little extra that had to be forced to seat perfectly. You won't always see those differences either. But, you could hear them in the taps once they were properly mated.

Two years in...it's holding very well. This particular one is a larger width plank and beveled all around...looks like a wood plank, except no realistic texture. Love the look though. If you're having issues, please also post the thickness of your laminate...it makes a big difference. I won't use anything but a 12mm+ from now on. Sounds like wood when you walk on it.

Cheers!

• amylauren
    11 years ago

I would really love to know how the thickness effected durability and sound!

• sharonbly
    11 years ago

Has anyone posted on how to clean this laminate flooring? We just put in two rooms of barnwood laminate and notice it gets filmy if we wipe it with a wet cloth to clean small areas/spills. Can I use plain water to clean it with a string mop?

• beardancing2
    11 years ago

We installed the 12mmm african mahagony from dream home a couple of years ago in our living and dining rooms and again in our master bedroom last year. I am a recovering (former) contractor and these were my 7th & 8th floors using LL products, but the first laminate flooring I had ever personally installed, though I had many projects where it was installed by my flooring subcontractors. I was hesitant to use laminate flooring in the first place because we have teenagers and dogs in house. However the look we wanted would not have been affordable in the least. After doing some homework and talking to the manager at my local LL, we decided to take a chance on dream homes african mahogany 12mm. We have a really damp crawl space, so I opted for a vapor barrier (I actually used 40 lb. roofing felt, butt joined, seams taped with vinyl duct tape. This gave us a little extra cushioning with the moisture protection and was much less expensive than the stuff they sell at the stores. We had a whole bunch of living going on in that house and we were very pleased with how the product preformed. So much so, that we decided a year later to install it in our master bed, with one exception. The damage that can quickly occur from spilled drinks and puppies is the only downfall of this floor and something that it has in common with any other laminated or engineered product. So, after talking about it with a LL techie, we decided to install the master using glue on the top of the joints, which we did. It was messy if you let it get away from you, which I did a couple of times. Seemed to solve the problem. I would give you an update but a couple of months ago our house burned and it is being rebuilt. would we use this product again? Yes. In fact we will be installing it wherever we do not have tile. And we will be gluing the tops of all the seams.
    The best cleaner we found for it was at wall mart and was the cheapest. The trick is to use one towel or cloth to get the dirt up and a clean soft cloth to dry/buff. For every day dusting get yourself a "MINT" or "REVOO" floor cleaning robot. Best $200 you'll ever spend.
    As for those who had problems installing it...
    The guy using the sledge hammer was "trolling".
    Any one who had trouble with this either a) did not read the directions or b) shouldn't be playing with tools in general. One last thing, laminate floor installation kit (usually under $29) has all the spacing blocks you need plus a tapping block and pull bar. Read the instructions on those too and you should have no trouble. and another last thing...Lumber Liquidators have always done me right. The only time a person walks out with factory seconds or remnants are when they buy them. They are clearly marked, but may not have gotten read either. No flooring supplier can or will warranty a product for anything other than obvious manufacturing defects. On 8 jobs I only had one problem. There was a flaw in the top coat of some Brazilian Rosewood 3 1/4 x 5/8" solid pre finished hardwood by Bellawood. It affected 3 boxes out of 50 or so. The sales guy swapped them out no problem.

• SouthernYankee33
    11 years ago

This was our first time installing laminate flooring. After struggling with 2 or 3 rows of St. James Kings Forest Maple 12MM and reading about others using a 3 lb. sledge hammer as a tool, we were ready to give up. My wife came up with an idea and it works great. We line up all the boards for one row the length of the room being VERY careful to line them up parallel. Then both of us carefully lift up the row and slowly insert it into the tongue of the previous row. When all of it is in place, pushing down slowly will result in it snapping into place. Any crevices that appear from misalignment can be gently tapped into place with a hammer and small block of wood. The room is 14 by 11 ft. and looks great. We are ready to do the next room. The hardest part was moving the furniture out of the way, laminate installation was easy. We have 2 more bedrooms and the hallway to install.

• poorchoice
    11 years ago

Finished laying Dream Home Nirvana Plus on Saturday. Job went well and Wife was pleased. Floor was beautiful with tight joints and a warm rich color. While replacing furniture Wife dragged a plant with a plastic saucer under it and made some scratches across the middle of the room. Scratches are not too bad, but raised suspicions.
    I moved the recliner. which has plastic pads on it to find that in just 4 days the laminate is worm through the "warm rich color" . Wife says the salesman said that this stuff wont scratch with anything but a knife .LL warrants it for foot traffic for 25 years, so I guess you are supposed to keep it covered except where you walk. I have some question about it's longevity since the recliner wore through to white in 4 days. DON'T BUY NIRVANA UNLESS YOU ARE DOING WALLS.

• t54xwingfighterscout
    10 years ago

Joshbee had it right. See quote below.

"""" Posted by joshbee (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 23:18

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Someone give me a fricken medal!!!!!!

OK check this out - I bought this crap too boo made in china whatever its cheap and plentiful. Like all the other posts I spent like 3 days getting the first 3 rows in but then I figured it out...

Are you ready (oh I am so awesome...) Build your first row... Then build your second row on top of it. That's right - right on top of it. Use painters tape to temp weld the seams and working with one or even two people slide it forward and then lock it in - but don't push down yet. Check everything three times - make sure it's ready to seat. Then even hinge it with the painters tape. Then you just move from left to right and it all clicks into place.

""""

We had similar problems at first, but then used spacer blocks around the perimeter; we also completely assembled a row (lengthwise) and then taped the joints before snapping the completed row into place. This allowed us to not exert any forces on the floor that would cause previous rows to slip back and forth. Using this method, the job went fairly quickly. Also, a rubber block and puller bar are EXTREMELY useful.

• KDraper
    10 years ago

We had this product professionally installed. HATE it. Six months after it was put in we started seeing areas delaminate. Some were high traffic some were low/no traffic. A couple of areas were briefly (picture running for paper towels before the spilled glass settles). But other areas exposed to moisture often (by sliding glass door) show no problems. We contacted the company through LL. We had pictures and were polite and calm. Their answer was our area was either to wet or too dry ad it wasn't their problem that we had almost 1000sf of this flooring that looked like crap. I will never use LL again. We had Laminate flooring in our last house (SafeLoc) it looked as good the day we moved out as it did when we put it in 5 years earlier. We did not get it from LL.

• afurman
    9 years ago

I have use anothet laminate but i heard a lot of good think about LL

• Miaroad
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the great info!

I'm planing to replace my floors with the Lumber Liquidators Delaware Bay Driftwood can any one share if they had any problems with scratchings or any other problems after installation. Hows the ware and tare?
    Thanks,

• millworkman
    9 years ago

LL is predominantly all garbage, go to a real flooring store. Seconds, end runs and cheap imports.

• doc_wal
    9 years ago

Just finished a LL Dream Home flooring job all by myself in the great room hallways and office. It was not easy but my goodness it is a solid and beautiful floor. It is the "Warm Springs Chestnut" flooring. The box says that it is formaldehyde compliant to California standards. But my concern is the reporting that has been going on in the media lately about LL flooring having a problem with too much formaldehyde being used in the manufacturing process and causing many health problems. Does anyone have any thing that you can add to this that can be backed up with facts. I hope I have a safe flooring because like I said, it is beautiful. It is also very tough. Believe me, I have dropped tools on it that would and should have scared it and it took the beating. Beautiful or not, if the problems exist, I will take it to the dump.

• User
    9 years ago

With faux certifications, the only way that you can know is to have it tested. Or risk your family's ealth.

• siobhanstevensonatgmail
    9 years ago

I had NVP Delaware Bay Driftwood 10mm installed in two bedrooms in my condo in Toronto. Bought from LL. Had seen it in a friend's place and thought it looked wonderful. Great customer service. I had them install. Looks fabulous until I got a call from a friend about the 60 Minutes segment on the unacceptable amount of a formaldehyde gassing off the boards. I remember finding it curious that the boxes that the planks came in were marked as "Made in Austria?" Wow, and yet so cheap... Tomorrow I will be setting out a testing kit to determine the amount of formaldehyde in the air (it will take three days of testing but can I even trust the results?). Who to trust now? People tell me not to take chances with health and to simply pull up the boards, dump them in the landfill and start over.

What an expense. What are other people doing? I should have bit the bullet and put in hardwood.

• doc_wal
    9 years ago

Sorry you are in the same pickle that I find myself. Where did you get the test kit. I am also going to take a sample of the flooring to a chemist that runs a private lab a see if he will take a look at it. A chemist friend of mine is checking with him. But my wife has noticed that I have not been feeling well since I did it. Bad cough, headaches and a constant runny nose. I just contributed it to a slight cold. I wore a mask when I cut the boards but the dust was floating in the air. Will let you know what I find out. Also would be interested in what your kit results is. Thanks

• Mike Bistro
    9 years ago

siobhanstevensonatgmail I bought the NVP Delaware Bay Driftwood a few weeks ago I am wondering if it did come from Austria? What are the results of the test?

• arlenie35
    9 years ago

Hi, has anyone received their test results for the Delaware bay driftwood?

• chr_miller1
    9 years ago

I have the Dream Home Charisma, I had an air test done through "Home Air Check". the results showed "elevated" for formaldehyde. I emailed LL who responded that Charisma is produced in Austria, and basically F-off. Nice.

• Shannon Shannon
    8 years ago

We spoke with a couple pros and evidently, ALL laminate has some amount of Formaldehyde in it, no matter what country of origin.

• User
    8 years ago

Toxic choking amounts well above CARB limits that were LIED about only come from LL.

• rainynw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just purchased 19 boxes of Dream Home Nirvana Delaware Bay Driftwood. I scanned the QR code for installation videos with my phone and found that the manufacturer is Kaindl. The video is very straight-forward about how to install. I'm so impatient that I almost dont want to wait the two days of acclimation to begin my install.

The video I found on their website has two types of flooring; the Dream Home Nirvana Delaware Bay fold down type starts at 4.07 in the video.

Kaindl Installation Video for Laminate flooring

• Dawn McLaughlin
    8 years ago

I am wondering if any one heard of the crap in this flooring. I have the stj keeler tavern walnut. I am now reading about flooring that has high amounts of formaldehyde emitting from the flooring. It is made in China like everything else. The lawsuit is specifically targeting lumber liquidators. Not sure they are the only sellers of the st james by dream home though. They are testing the flooring for free. Please have yours checked.

• meganstreitwilson
    7 years ago

We just bought and opened the Lumber Liquidators dream home laminate and it smells like women's perfume, which I am allergic to. Did any one else smell this and if so, does it go away after a few days? If not, I will need to take it back. Thanks for any help with this.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022