Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mirz2000

Installing Pergo on Open Floor Plan

mirz2000
9 years ago

I am about to install Pergo on the main floor of my house. Currently, there is 23 year old carpet there from the previous home owner (the original carpet from when the house was built). I have never installed Pergo before, but I have been watching tutorials and reading any instructions I can get my hands on. I was wondering about a few things...

1. Starting wall: I have an open floor plan, and therefore don't have a complete wall to start on... all the walls extend out into other parts of the floor. I was thinking of starting on the longest wall, and using a transition for the part of the floor that will extend beyond the wall... would that work? It extends to an area (not exactly a hallway, more like an awkward circle), that has the bedrooms, bathroom and closet.

2. Baseboards: Some say you can leave the baseboards and just install quarter round over them when finished. Others say you have to remove baseboards. Thoughts? I am guessing either way I need to rent an air compressor and nailer?

3. Stair: There is one stair nose that I am doing (step down)... I am running the boards perpendicular to the joists, which means they end up perpendicular to the stair, rather than parallel... will this be an issue? Pictures seem to show the product running parallel to the stair nose, but maybe that is just cosmetic?

4. Any other tips or tricks from your experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice!