Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wide pine floor finish

Posted by richardsc (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 9:50

I have installed southern yellow pine in a basement wood workshop with the intention of not adding a finish after sanding. However, I am thinking I should at least apply some kind of oil to provide some protection and make cleanup of spills easier.
Suggestions?
Recommendations?
If an oil is appropriate, what would you recommend?

Thank you,
RichardSC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wide pine floor finish

I have the same question - please let me know suggestions.
Thank you!

o
RE: Wide pine floor finish

We are looking at applying a product called Waterlox to our white pine plank flooring. It is 80% tung oil with some additional resins. Their website gives all sorts of useful information.

o
Waterlox Floor Finishing Guide

The link below is to the Waterlox floor finishing guide. From everything I have read, the product is easy to apply, does not require sanding between coats, and is easy to touch up if desired. It's also highly waterproof but still allows the wood to appear natural rather than encased in plastic. It does need very good ventilation during application, though, which might not always be possible in a basement (although I assume if it's a wood workshop it has built-in ventilation.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterlox Floor Finishing Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here