Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate floors in 2nd fl condo?

Posted by raineygirl (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 9:08

I'm thinking of replacing my carpet with laminate flooring in my condo. I am over somebody and wonder about the noise factor. I'm sure this has improved but was wondering if anybody has any issues with this? My carpet is shot and I have animals and just think it would be so much easier for me when I do clean ups from my cats getting sick, etc. With carpet, it's much harder to keep it looking nice and clean. Lots of people recommend laminate flooring and I'm seriously considering it.

Is there anyway you can make it more sound proof by adding something to the sub-floor? Just curious; I'm thinking about my neighbor downstairs. Also, anybody out there have any comments to make on this type of flooring? I have no idea where to shop for the best deals and what to look for. Another concern was...I have a fireplace that is almost like a wrap around to the corner side. Odd shape and has tile around it. Most neighbors here have just taken the tile out and had the flooring go directly up to the fireplace. I'm not sure that's a good idea. Any thoughts on that? Our condos are shaped funny where the fireplace is...almost on a diagonal angle.

Okay, any thoughts and comments are certainly welcomed!

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate floors in 2nd fl condo?

I hope someone with laminate experience will come in here and give you some good advice. I have only two comments: 1. Check your condo agreement or check with the condo "board", if you have one. There may be a particular laminate underlayment required. 2. There are many "mass loaded" soundproofing underlayments in the marketplace. Make sure you use one rated for sound attenuation.

o

Good point glensfc to check with Condo Assn. I know it's allowed because many owners have already changed out their carpet for hardwood/laminate floors. However, if I do so, I want to do the right thing for my downstairs neighbor. It's just me so any noise made will be minimal. I understand that laminate is more durable than actual hardwood and much cheaper so that's why I was considering going that route. Thanks for your input.

o

Don't know about the condo noise issue but we had laminate put in where carpet used to be a month ago - love it so far. We have a fireplace in the living room. It has tile around it - about 2 ft out from the fireplace. We removed all the carpet and left the tile. We did not want laminate right against the fireplace. It looks nice that way. If you give me an email address I will send you a pic - not sure how to link it on this site.

o

My friend put it over her concrete sub-floor and I couldn't help notice the "tink tink" sound when you walk on it. Her dogs nails made a noise on it too.

We put it in our basement over an insulated sub-floor and we don't have that problem.

o

Any pics would really be helpful. My email address is lcoffey525@verizon.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here