Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

mowhawk over low pile carpet

andrelaplume2
10 years ago

Situation: Beauty Shop (rented) I believe floor is concrete and originally was covered in ugly linoleum or sheet vinyl. 10 years ago we installed new flooring over the old: in the reception area � 100 sq ft or, inexpensive low pile carpet was glued over the linoleum. The work area � 225 sq ft had new linoleum/sheet vinyl glued down over top old.

Well, the wife wanted to replace the flooring�both looked faded/dirty etc and she wants a change. She had someone in who waxed (?) the work area and decided she wants to keep that but she is still sick of the 100 sq ft of carpet.

She�d like some sort of laminate in the reception area. We have seen cheaper discounted stuff with a 10 year warranty. 100 sq ft should be simple enough for us to install ourselves and can be had pretty cheap�as little as $1 a sq ft for some Mohawk closeout stuff...8mm layer...

1) Do we rip up the layer of carpet and linouleum? Its down tight. I think that would be a real pain and may need professionals.
2) Can we just install this 100 sq ft of laminate right over the carpet as a floating floor? When it wears out, just remove and replace?
3) If we need to remove the carpet and linoleum, would that eliminate the laminate as an option since I am back to concrete�and I wonder how smooth the floor would be�glue spots etc.
4) Note the salon is not heavily used, just 3 to 4 days a week�which is likely why the flooring there now has lasted so long.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!