Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Tung oil finish ok with peanut allergy???

Posted by satsynana (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 8:31

Help please...our grandson has a peanut allergy. We were planning to use pure tung oil to finish our walnut and reclaimed oak flooring but need to know if it will adversely affect our grandson. Any ideas or where I can get definitive answers?

Thank you!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Tung oil finish ok with peanut allergy???

Ask your children to ask his allergist or pediatrician.

Tung oil comes from a nut ... but I don't think it's in the same plant family as peanuts


 o
RE: Tung oil finish ok with peanut allergy???

Perhaps it might say something on the can? We used Waterlox and it mentioned on the can that people with severe peanut allergies might react until it had cured. I don't have the can in front of me, but I believe it (or someone else) said it took 30 days to cure.

I would definitely do some more research to be sure.

My friend's son had severe peanut allergies and we didn't let him come over to our house for a while after we did the floors. He did eventually come over months later and was fine.


 o
RE: Tung oil finish ok with peanut allergy???

My son has a severe peanut allergy and I I have never come across this specific subject. Three things to consider:
1) Most people's food allergies are only to INGESTING the protein they are allergic to. Is he still so young he would be licking the floor?
2)Does he have asthma? It is extremely rare that an allergic reaction occurs in the lungs, but having diagnosed asthma increases the chance this can happen by breathing in proteins.
3) Being allergic to peanuts does not mean you are anaphylactic to nuts, and tung oil comes from a nut and maybe even a seed, both of which are not a peanut nor a legume. If your grandson is allergic to peanuts and not consuming nuts it is because of cross contamination: most nut shelling companies also shell peanuts on the same line, mixing up the proteins. This would not be an issue with tung oil as it is probably so over-processed, any proteins would be cooked away, and it is not a peanut!
If it was my non-asthmatic, only peanut allergic grandson, I would keep him away for 30 days after applying the tung-oil, then not worry about it at all. You are being a super grandparent worrying about this!!!!!!!!!


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here