Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting and Laying Tile

Posted by johnc777 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 8:12

Please see my previous post "Floor Construction" for more details on the project. The better half has decided that the bathroom needs a bit of updating and she would like new tile and some bead board on the walls.

My plan was rip up the old tile and substrate, fill in with OSB, a layer of 1/2" cement board over that and then tile. So far, so good. Or at least I think so.

The tile she picked is 6" x 36" and looks like weathered wood. Overall I think the effect will be pretty sharp but I'm worried about the technical difficulties of working with the tile. I've done tile work before but with traditional square tiles up to about 12".

I'm thinking, in order to maintain the appearance, that I need a pretty thin grout line for this new tile. That makes me think that the tiles need to be aligned pretty darn carefully.

As I was laying in bed last night I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to rip this tile to width. Most rental wet saw don't have anywhere near a 36" capacity. I know they make saws that big but finding one might be a challenge. Rent a saw with an 18" capacity and flip the tile over? Rent one of the saws that look like a small table saw? I'm wondering about ripping accurately with such a small fence...no to mention those tend to have pretty small motors and this tile is 7/16" thick.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting and Laying Tile

You can always cut halfway thru and then flip the tile to complete the cut. Best used where the baseboard will hide it eh?

Most of these tiles have a bit of "cupping" to them, so you want to stagger them at 1/3 or at worst, 1/2. You should be able to set them pretty close. I've even butted them on the side with NO grout and it looked fine....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here