Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownnugen

Any input on Costco's bamboo or laminate flooring?

brownnugen
10 years ago

I was at Costco yesterday and saw that they carry some flooring, I googled it and saw some reviews that seemed ok. Has anyone on here had any experience installing or living with either of the flooring products they carry?

The prices are really affordable ($2.42 sq/ft for bamboo and $1.13 sq/ft for laminate with padding attached). I have been a Costco shopper for years and feel they usually carry high quality goods at great prices, but I don't know enough about flooring to judge this.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• User
    10 years ago

Brand? Any actual specs on the product?

A common complaint with cheap bamboo is the formaldehyde offgassing and that it's not from appropriately aged bamboo that would have the hardness that is usually claimed. If that product has the offgassing issue, then I'm sure Costco would refund you the price of the product. But, no one will ever refund you your time in installing it if you DIY or the money to have it installed or uninstalled if you have to pay for labor. If it gets dents in it, then the same thing applies. You might get your money back, but you'd be annoyed you were out the time you took to venture down that road.

Why don't you buy a single box and give it a bit of a test in your current home? Open up the wrapper and see if it stinks you out of the house. Loose set it on the floor and walk on it. Maybe drop a few things on it. Spill a coke on it. See how it dents and cleans up or if it has any warpage due to moisture.

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a good idea about buying a box to sample at home. In the meantime, I found the website to the product (it is the horizontal strand)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo floors from Costcop

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a link to Costco's laminates.

Do you think these would be acceptable in a dry finished basement? There is currently carpet and padding over even older (probably asbestos tiles). I am planning on leaving the old vinyls tiles in place. If left in place, other than ensuring the floor is level, what other preps need to be done? Both the bamboo and laminates already have some thin padding already adhered to the bottom of the planks. Will any other barrier or paddin be necessary?

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco laminates

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    10 years ago

I have the Costco laminate (maple-ish color) in my basement. It is on top of an insulated sub-floor.

I have had it three years and I love it! Kids play down there all the time and use for a "dance floor". Cat tracks litter across it and it still looks as good as the day we had it installed.

This flooring is made by Harmonics from what I remember. It does go on sale (or maybe a rebate) often so you might want to wait for that.

You never want wood laminate in any area that might get wet, of course.

• ejmaisonneuve
    6 years ago

What was the labor cost?