Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggys_gw

Amendoim Color Variations

maggys
14 years ago

Photos of Amendoim have anywhere from little color variation to more of a patchwork pattern.

I'm trying to stay away from the patchwork look. How does the color variation compare to Brazilian Cherry or Oak?

Comments (20)

• maggys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I acutally bought the flooring already have the pre finished BR-111 it's just not installed. It does look beautiful, I got a little worried because there are a lot of variations in the color.

How much can I expect to change in color over time?

• aggietexan
    14 years ago

Maggys -- That's what I just had installed, and my floors have a lot of color variation. I looked at a lot of samples and pictures before we chose the floor. The Amendoim had quite a bit more variation in color than some of the other floors we looked at. Everything I read was that the Amendoim will darken a little within the first three months, but not as dramatically as some of the other exotics.

Sorry, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

aggietexan, any pics of your beautiful Amendoim Floors? Do they have more variation than pics you have seen on the Internet? This was a floor I liked but I feared the knots. Do the boards have a little bit of knots or a lot? From pics I have seen on my monitor they are beautiful but my monitor seems to add a reddish tint to everything and I want a reddish tint to be in the floor. Does the floor have a reddish tint? What width and brand did you choose?

• maggys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked at the flooring again, it hasn't been installed yet, but it's absolutely gorgeous, I'm just nervous. I think everything will turn out. I'll post pictures after it's installed this week. It is a little reddish than oak and it won't amber like oak does. I also love the knots. I got BR-111 that I ordered online, and the finish is gorgeous on it. I live in the Bay Area and it came all the way from Georgia, but everything turned out great even though it came from so far away.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Maggys, I think I know the place you ordered the Amendoim from since I was thinking of ordering either Brazilian Cherry or Amendoim Engineered BR-111 from that place also. What width did you choose? I love the finish on top of my samples. So you are like my friend and like knots. I like a minimum of knots. I don't mind a few but I do not like a lot so that was why I was leaning back towards Brazilian Cherry and would love even just pictures of the boards. So far I know most people that ordered either the BR-111 Brazilian Cherry or the Amendoim have been very happy.

Are you floating the floor or gluing it down? If you chose the 3.25" width or the 5" width, I would love to know why you chose that particular width.

• maggys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got 3/4" hardwood floor and it's 4" w. I thought that 4"w matches perfectly with the scale of my ceilings and house. Now that it's here, I'm glad I went with 4"w planks. I was reading about engineered and full 3/4" hardwood and I think the engineered has less color variations because the way it's cut.

The flooring has knots but they're tiny and add character. We looked at Brazilian Cherry but my husband especially didn't like color variaions of yellows and reds and browns of Brazilian Cherry and the formal look that we thought Brazilian Cherry has.

We have a Mediterranean style house, so I thought that the knots went well with that Country Italian Tuscan or Spanish style that I'm going for.

I'm exited, I'll definitely post photos. I am finishing designing/building our house, so there's about two months to go before we can move in I can't wait.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Maggys, I am so happy for you. I like the way the Solid Amendoim looks from the samples I have here. I love the 4" width and just wish an engineered wood that I like in the brands I like would come in 4" wide since 5" wide just looks a little bit wide for me in my townhouse. I know you will be happy.

Thanks for letting me know that the knots are tiny.

• aggietexan
    14 years ago

Maggys and Lynn2006 -- We used the BR 111 Triangulo Engineered, with the 3 & 1/4 planks. The wood does have knots, but for the most part they're tiny. There's enough red tone to blend nicely with my dark (mostly) cherry furniture. I love the way the floors look.

I did take some pictures today after I got some things put away, but I can't remember how to post them on this website. If you can help me out I'd be happy to share the pictures!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

aggie texan, Thanks for sharing the pictures on the other post. Thanks for letting me know your floors are the 3.25" wide size that I thought looked 2nd best in my home. 4" looked best but only came in a solid and I need engineered. I just felt the 5" looked so wide so I will be going with either 3.25" wide BR-111 Triangulo Amendoim or Brazilian Cherry floors just like I wanted last year before the installers cancelled on me with the store unless I would seal my floors without even testing for moisture to see if I needed to seal the floors. I ended up getting another major deadline and when this is done I will make up my mind since I already bought a garage full of stackable crates for emptying out all my huge putty file cabinets so make them easier to move.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I just downloaded the Google Bar with spell check and it automatically changed things and made aggietexan two words. I will have to learn how to use this new feature.

Off to bed since I have a big day and should not be up so late but was having neck pain and was waiting for the pain to lessen first.

• Karen Eagle
    14 years ago

I just ordered the BR111 Triangulo Amendoim for my den. I went with the 5" wide because the boards are longer. My floor won't be installed until the end of July and I can't wait. Please post pics when your floor is done. I'm also a little nervous of too many knots and too much color variation, but all the samples and pics I saw looked nice. Good luck with your floor.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

kge9, I am so glad you made a decision and I feel you will be very happy with the 5" width that I saw pictures posted on someone's kitchen on the kitchen site and it was gorgeous. Now I am wondering if I should go with the 3.25" width or the 5" width. I just felt that anything over 4" in my area could be a problem but now with my new air conditioner, I am finding out that my home never gets too humid and with my new heating system, my home is not getting as dry so maybe it would not be a problem for me. I can't wait to see pictures of your new floors.

• maggys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought the 4"w planks were a nice compromise between the 3.25" and 5". I was nervous ordering them online, but everything turned out great. I got a great deal on the 3/4" planks they had free delivery and didn't have to pay sales tax because it was shipped out of state. The website I ordered my floors from was www.truehardwoods.com. I highly recommend them to anyone who's considering BR-111.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Maggy's, my favorite width is the 4" width and I really wish I could go with solid wood but I have to have engineered wood and BR-111's Triangulo Engineered Wood only comes in 3.25" wide and 5" wide. I have a concrete sub-floor with no basement due to the location of my home. I was planning on buying my hardwood flooring from TrueHardWoods.com also since I recommended them to my neighbor who was very happy with the oak floors she bought from this online family store. Thanks Maggie for letting me know that you were happy also.

• maggys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My floors are being installed now, and they are absolutely gorgeous! The color variation is very, very nice. I'm so happy with my decision to go with Amendoim. I'll take photos soon.

• Karen Eagle
    14 years ago

maggys, I can't wait to see your pics. What length are your planks?

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Maggy's I also can't wait to see pictures of your Solid Wood Amendoim Hardwood floors installed. The 4" width size plank is my favorite width and if I was doing solid wood, that is what I would use on the floor I choose.

• lainey04
    13 years ago

Hi. I have had solid amendoim for five years and it can vary greatly in color. It did darken about one shade and the variation has mellowed out a little bit.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

Lainey04, can you send pics of your floor? What width do you have? It sounds beautiful.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

My favorite board width has always been 4" but I could not find engineered woods in that width. Hopefully one day if I ever move, I will not be on a concrete floor so I can install 4" wide boards. I would love to see the Amendoim Floors in person.