Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Conflicting advice about laminate flooring

marvelousmarvin
10 years ago

I've gone to a couple of floor stores, and I've been getting conflicting advice that I hope can get straightened out on this forum.

1) Is laminate flooring appropriate for the kitchen?

2) Is there a difference among laminate brands or are they basically all the same? If the latter, what are the 'best' laminate brands?

3) If I have a choice between a 10mm AC-4 laminate vs a 12 mm AC-3 laminate, is the 10mm a better choice because its more durable even though its thinner?

It seems that the only advantage greater thickness gives you is that it sounds more like wood flooring when you walk on it instead of that hollow sound. But, could you accomplish that acoustic trick with a premium underlayment floor muffler?

4) I like the look of Pergo XP laminates and one of the selling points is that it already has a pad attached to it so I don't have to pay more money to buy the padding.

But, is it better to have the pad already glued to the laminate like the Pergo, or better to buy a laminate and pad separately?

5) If I get something where the pad is already attached, would it make the laminate sound more like wood flooring if I put another premium underlayment floor muffler underneath that as well or is that overkill?

6) The embossements make the laminate look more like wood, but I was wondering if there were any potential problems with that? Is dirt going to get trapped in there?

Comments (10)

• clg7067
    10 years ago

With laminate flooring, basically, you get what you pay for. Pergo is good. Pick something you like, then google the brand for reviews. There are lots of laminate reviews online.

• lamman
    10 years ago

I have installed a lot of laminate in kitchens. Mostly for older people that don't have children. It could be a problem if you have to worry about water getting spilled a lot.
    I have installed some AC 3 brands that had a tough surface and some other AC 3 brands that were junky.
    AC 4 is usually pretty tough. What I tell my clients is to get samples and try to scratch them with their keys or something like that.
    Your right about the thicker ones, they feel more solid.
    The padding on the back can save some money. But if your installing over concrete you will need the vapor barrier.

I haven't worked with the Pergo XP yet. It looks a little costly to me. I do know that not all Pergo brands are Good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laminate Reviews

• marvelousmarvin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For the problem of water getting spilled on laminate floors, what about gluing those joints together? I've read some people do that to their laminate floors, but does that really work?

• lamman
    10 years ago

It can help to glue some planks together in water prone areas. It may not make it totally water proof but it can help to slow down water penetrating into the joint. The best way is to prevent water from sitting on the joint for prolonged periods of time.

I have glued joints where there was water, such as in a bathroom where they had small children. The only problem with this is if a plank gets damaged, you can't remove it without damaging surrounding planks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repair laminate flooring

• banzaiengr
    10 years ago

I have had Wilson Art Red Label laminate flooring in our kitchen for about seven years now and am very happy with it. But, Wilson Art does not make flooring anymore. We installed it ourselves and did glue the planks. There have been a few times where ice-cubes have escaped from kids glassed from the fridge dispenser and landed under chairs under our peninsula, and I did not discover the water until the next day, and no damage was done. I brought numerous samples home and did the scratch test and let soda sit on them overnight. That helped me decide on going with the Wilson Art. We have dropped cans of unopened veges, etc. on it and so far no dents. Just make sure you get enough. We have an open concept living room, dining room and kitchen and had cheap vinyl on the kitchen floor and carpet in the dining room and living room. Of course at the time the carpet was in great shape. Now the carpet needs replaced and I really love the laminate but they do not make it any longer. So I am trying to find a laminate that is a bit darker than the oak we have. We would have liked to have used wood flooring but we have a large dog and decided on laminate.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

cig7067 said, "With laminate flooring, basically, you get what you pay for." Good statement.

I sold and installed some of that stuff when I thought it was a great idea. Then, when jobs started coming back due to moisture-related issues, my opinion changed. I don't like any floating floor option, because it feels weird walking on it.

Great that some people like it. Dealers like it because its wholesale price is dirt cheap and they can make a lot of profit selling it. And installers like it because it goes in quickly.

• janesylvia
    10 years ago

I also had wilsonart flooring, which can resist moisture really well. Water spilled on the kitchen floor and was not wiped, it was fine. Unfortunately, Wilsonart discontinue their product.

The bedrooms have cheap laminate. I don't know if I can use engineered wood in the bedrooms. The thickness is of great difference. Wisonart laminate is only 7.4mm.

• ardcp
    10 years ago

we too have wilsonart in the kitchen and back hall. it looks great after 14 years of water, dirt, kids,dogs,etc. the hardwood we put in the dining room 8years ago( from a flooring company ) looks beat up! i would definately do laminate again. i dont notice the difference in feel or sound between the laminate and the hardwood.

• William Braun
    6 years ago

We have a newly constructed “model” home with nailed down and glued laminate flooring. The flooring was installed before we purchased it. We don’t like the dark color of the flooring. Can we put a floating Aquaguard laminate floor over the existing laminate floor? There are some squeaks in the floor and I assume we should brad nail those areas down before installing the new floor. I would appreciate your comments and recommendations.