Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bitlogger

Solid hardwood floor and sliding door

bitlogger
10 years ago

Hi,

I am installing a hardwood floor for the first time with the help of a friend who has done this couple of times. The wood I selected is 3/4" thick 3" wide solid maple. After two weeks of acclimation, we started the install in my living room, which is a square room with a wide sliding glass door facing the yard.

When we got to the door, my friend suggested that we just cut the wood so that it flushes against the door frame, as shown in the picture below.

I have been doing quite a bit reading on various forums, manuals, etc, and the majority of them recommend to leave a gap (1/4") and install an end-cap molding. There are also one or two suggestions that are inline with my friend's approach. What is the right (or better) approach? Should I be concerned about the expansion/shrinkage since it is summer now, and the wood might shrink more during the winter (I live in Wisconsin).

- We are leaving 3/4" gaps along the two walls facing the tongue and grove, 1/4" gap opposite from the sliding door.

- We already installed a few rows as shown in the photo, what if we now need to change the plan and install an end-cap molding? How do I cut off the edge? Using a jig saw?

Thanks,
Hao

Comments (3)