Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Varathane Oil Gloss users

Posted by macvirtualasst (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 1:32

Hi All,

We used Varathane oil based gloss on our red oak plank flooring and it looks beautiful. However, it has been about 2 weeks and to me, it does not seem 100% dry. We put a floor mat down and the fabric on the bottom of the mat left an imprint which we had to sand down and re-coat. It is supposed to be strong, but the Varathane at this point seems very delicate. We are about to move into this house soon and I am so worried what the floors will look like with the weight of the furniture on them. Pre-finished flooring seems a lot more durable at this point, but now it's too late. Granted, we only just got our HVAC system on a week ago (it's a new house) so the lack of moisture and humidity control could be what possibly delayed drying. Or I could just be over analyzing everything. The can says drying time is something like 24 hours or less, right? Just hoping it dries. Also, has anyone ever done a spot treatment on Varathane treated floors? We have a few areas that got hair trapped under and we have to sand down and re-do, etc. I don't want to forever have to take care of these floors...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Varathane Oil Gloss users

The lack of the hvac increased your total cure time. After 8 hrs in ideal conditions its dry to the touch but mats or carpets needs to wait after the full cure time of roughly 3 weeks. In ideal conditions. 30% humidity (this can be adjusted to your personal preference) and 70 degrees. If your floor hasnt been in these conditions expect it to take longer.

Another issue is that since you went with a gloss sheen you are going to see EVERYTHING.

as far as sanding down to remove hairs, hope youre not going to bare wood. You only need to use something like p-180 grit paper.

o

Flags are flying here.
1)Living conditions (heat & air) on at least 2 weeks prior to installing solid wood flooring
2)Moisture checks of both the subfloor and the flooring within 3% when installed?
Basement - crawl space humidity level checked?
3) New low VOC urethanes are different from the old in drying times as well as flow out characteristics IE: inferior. (new EPA dictates)
Oil urethanes do not "touch up" well. You may need to tape off the area along individual board edges pulling up the tape as soon as you finish the application. You will have better success with the gloss than a satin finish.

Greg is correct about the cure times and rugs.

Waterborne urethanes cure much quicker and are easier to touch up / blend in.

o

Thank You both. We are in the position where we must make the best of it, was not an easy build... DH likes the gloss but I almost wish we had gone for water based semi gloss.... oh well, looks pretty good in all, just a few problem areas...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here