Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cremellomare

old floors, cracks, dogs

cremellomare
9 years ago

Forgive me cause I don't really have a clue about floors. Just moved into an older house with probably original floors. They aren't in bad shape but could be refinished. I know its a project. So some questions..
1. If I do sand and poly the floors, will all the little cracks in between boards be filled in? Or do you have to do something special? I'm wanting to make sure it is sealed so no moisture gets in because of the dogs.
2. I would use a water based one, how long do they take to dry, can you speed it up at all?

But now my friend (who owns the house) is saying that she doesn't want to pay for it until after I move out in a few years..wouldn't it be better to do it now so it doesn't get damaged more? Like I said it isn't in bad shape but I'm afraid that my dogs will pee one too many times and wreck it now. Also how bad are fumes and what not from water based poly? It would be on the second floor, would the fumes go downstairs? My friend is worried about her kid. Or is that not really an issue?

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

Wood floors expand and contract, so even if you were to coat them with a new poly coating, it would crack between the boards in short order. Sorry, but you should lay down loose lay vinyl sheet flooring and confine the dogs to that room if you anticipate accidents. Wood floors are damaged by pet urine, and your friend has the right to expect that to NOT happen to her home.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Water bourne urethanes have a lower VOC than your oil based polyurethanes. It does dry quicker but no real way to speed it up. Be prepared to wait at least 5 hours (depending on brand) before you can walk.

If youre dog is going to have accidents inside refinishing the floors wont make a difference. The only thing sanding them now will do is determine which spots are because of your pets when you move out.

If you dont own the house its not youre call when they or if they get refinished.

Urethane by its self wont fill gaps in the floor. A wood filler will fill gaps but as it was mentioned previously. Wood expands and contracts so good chance not all the filler will stick(dependon the size if gaps)

• User
    9 years ago

Water borne finish doesn't have an objectionable smell to most people. It dries fairly quickly and there's nothing that will make it dry faster. If you want the cracks filled, they could be filled during the sanding process. Refinishing the floor and filling the cracks would not render the floor impervious to dog urine.

• cremellomare
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See I thought that refinishing them sealed them. Learn something new. Not just my dogs (although I'm paranoid) but any water I'm worried about with kids and stuff..crap happens. Good then, I'll save my money for something else then.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

If you catch the spills or dog urine fas enough then no worrys. Refinish will seal the floors. But the problem is when your out and the dog has an accident and you dont catch it for hours or even days.

Doesnt matter if you have 1 coat or 100 coats of finish. Any liquid if allowed to sut long enough will penetrate.