Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyna2

best flooring for pier and beam foundation

greyna2
14 years ago

I have a home built in 1918. The foundation is pier and beam. We are remodling the kitchen. What would be the best flooring. We are thinking about floating laminate wood. Can we put tile? Any help will be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• jbranch
    14 years ago

The only concerns I would have is moisture and if your floor is flat. Most floors are not flat and for floating floors there is a limit to how "out of flat" it can be. This varies by manufacturer. Make sure that any moisture from the ground below your kitchen has a proper moisture barrier and insist that moisture readings are taken before installation (a good flooring store will be able to do this). Otherwise, I think you are good to go.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Well pulling up a 6 year old thread to make your point is one thing but the main point you need to make is NOT to use a box store for flooring......

• HU-681732064
    4 years ago

I would not recommend using fake wood in an historic home. It devalues the property. To save money, look for an old wood floor being salvaged from an old home. It will look like it was always there. I used a contractor who was recommended by a friend who had use him. After 13 years the floor still looks great

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Now its an 11 year old post.......................

• S M
    3 years ago

Since this is a more recent post now ;)......... we have this same issue. There's original hardwood everywhere in our 100 yr home, except for the kitchen floor and utility room. Right now there's some really crappy laminate that we want to replace. I wanted tile originally, but then we run into the movement issue

• Jenn Sabin
    3 years ago

We are renovating an 85 year old house with original wood floors everywhere except kitchen. Currently there is tile with cracks, which we will replace. There is some foundation work that will be done before any reno, but also interested in what you choose for your kitchen floor.

• S M
    3 years ago

We did foundation work too. We put tile in the bathroom and our contactor put a concrete slab underneath to prevent movement. The kitchen is too large for this, so Ill keep you updated!

• vnicholas21
    3 years ago

I guess this is a timeless question. We’re renovating a second 1950 home, but this time we took up the original wood floors and saved them to be reused. The problem is that they are really narrow (1.75”), which is hard to match and not the look we want. Given the extensive renovation and addition, we’re going with a wider plank throughout the house which now includes the kitchen. I love the durability of LVP, but am concerned about moisture and putting heavier appliances on a floating floor with a pier and beam foundation. I’m wondering if we should reinforce the kitchen floor a bit better, at least where the new appliances will go, and stick to solid wood? It’s enough to make me think twice about a built-in fridge that weighs upward of 650 pounds. Going with tile in the bathrooms and mudroom.