Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishhawk101_gw

New Refinish Project - Seeking Advice

fishhawk101
10 years ago

Hi there,

I'm starting a new remodeling project and could use some DIY advice. I have about 1,500 square feet of beechwood that needs to be refinished in 5 days. It's in decent shade (circa 1999) except for the 5% that has bad water damage.

My current plan is to rent an orbital sander and see if it can do the job on day one. Hit it hard with low grit. If it's not the right tool, I'll go to a belt sander (risking some damage/gouge due to no experience) to sand down the rough spots missed on day one. Then, I'll edge sand on day three and seal the last two days...

My questions:
1) Does this sound reasonable?
2) Should I go with a "Home Depot" like sealer (e.g. Minwax) or sound I try a "professional" sealer? I went to a wholesaler and he scared me off of 'Bona' and 'Glitz' (the later may be incorrect). I was told that I'd see streaks unless I had good technique.

I feel confident I can sand the floor but I'm worried about sealing it.

All tips/advice welcome.

Comments (3)

• User
    10 years ago

Assuming 3/4 inch tongue and groove solid beech. And water damage that does not include cupping.

Totally unreasonable, unless you have a crew of experienced professionals or are willing to settle for poor results and spend a week at the chiropractor's and massage therapist afterward.

Just prepping the edges with a hand-held sander would be a more than a full day working on hands and knees. After a day of waltzing with an orbital sander, you won't be moving very fast. If you edge first, trying to use the orbital sander the day after finishing the hand sanding will be really rough.

Sanding 1500 square feet of anything in one day is physically a killer unless you are physically fit and experienced at waltzing with heavy floor machines. The day after you will be lucky to be able to move your arms to feed yourself.

"Hitting it hard" with low grit is asking for swirl marks and a crappy finish, especially as the day wears on and your arms wear out and lose control.

You need to do one coarse and one finish grit.

Cleanup of all the sanding dust ... clean, let it settle and clean again ... easily a day you didn't allow for in your schedule. Dust can get stirred up by the breeze of your walking by, and it wrecks the finish.

Application and drying time for any sealant ... allow one full day per coat. 1500 square feet is several hours of careful spreading.

As for sealing it: Waterlox works well and can be hand-wiped on with a rag or spread with a lambswool applicator. 24 hours minimum between coats, 3 to 5 coats recommended. Bona and Glitz take experience to get a good coat. Waterlox is far more forgiving.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

You're doing right by asking for advice and surfing for information and tips. If you go into this project half-cocked, you're going to be hugely disappointed with your results.

You need a professional floor belt sander, a professional floor edger, a professional floor buffer and all the sanding media to professionally prepare your floor surface. Most professionals use a sequence of 3 (three) sanding grits with the belt machine and two with the edger and one with the buffer. Not all professionals use the same grit sequence, however. You will also need sharp hand scrapers and the correct application tools for your chosen finish.

"Chosen Finish"...Consumer-grade wood floor materials and finishes suggested to you are products many of us won't even touch. You are far better off investing a few more dollars in "professional use only" floor materials. Yes, any resourceful DIYer can get them, but you will get NO support from these manufacturers should you have problems during or after the project.

I'm not attempting to discourage you here, but you do need to understand what you're getting yourself into. There are NO shortcuts to a good wood floor refinish. However, if this is just a rental or an investment property, then 'good enough' should be 'good enough'.

• fishhawk101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I have adjusted expectations on my timeline. I start sanding May 16th and I don't need to finish the job until May 26 so I have time.

This area of the house will not be used much but I would like to achieve a good/great result. I think I will try the orbital sander on day one and switch to a drum if its not doing the job.

I don't want to stain the floor. What top coat and Poly products would be recommended?