Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyaustin

Tile experts, please help

nancyaustin
9 years ago

I am cross posting these question on this forum and the bath forum, hoping to get your expert advice.
We're redoing our master bath and I am searching for porcelain tile that looks like travertine or crema marfil marble. I would like to have the floor tile rectangular, laid in a herringbone pattern, and the wall tile rectangular, laid in a brick pattern with a 50%, not 30-33%, overlap---if that is the way to describe it. I can find many square porcelain tiles but no rectangular tiles that are smaller than 12 x 24. I have been told that tiles 18" or smaller have fewer problems with lippage.
Can a rectified 18" porcelain tile be cut in half and laid in a herringbone pattern? One tile store person told me it wouldn't work, because the cut edge of the tile would chip. Another tile store person told me it would work if the tile is rectified..
Also, can a 12 x 24 tile be laid in the brick 50% overlap pattern, if a lashing system is used to adjust the height of the tile? If so, what lashing system works best?
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Comment (1)