Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood dilemma for kitchen/great room

Posted by burghmom (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 23:03

Hi everyone!
I am in need of some hardwood expertise! We are doing a remodel of our first floor including our kitchen and living room. I love the look of rustic hickory but the knots are scaring me off! Is there a floor that has the look of vintage/distressed but without the maintenance? The pre-engineered handscraped just look fake to me. I don't like the "wavy" look they have. My contractor is suggesting ash but I just thought I'd check with you all...the real experts! :-) Any input is welcome and much appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood dilemma for kitchen/great room

Ash wood has a wild grain pattern, similar to red oak, and is generally lighter in color than the oaks. You do get some browns, tans and blond boards in the typical site finished ash floor, especially if finished with a waterborne polyurethane.

For a custom distressed floor, you could hire someone to hand scrape solid flooring and then finish it on site. It is expensive, however, due to the labor and skill involved in producing these custom floors.

o

Glennsfc, I agree that the prefinished / pre distressed products look fake. What look do you want? If by vintage you mean grain variability, you might consider birch which goes from yellows to browns without the knots. A wide plank may also give you a distinctive look. Our 7 inch birch is waiting to be installed in the next couple of weeks. I can post some pictures when it's done.

o

constantinople, I can't wait to see your 7 inch birch floors which sound like they will be beautiful! I was thinking of going with Mirage Birch Engineered Wood floors but the cost was more than the BR-111 Brazilian Cherry so that is what I went with. I also loved the maple but felt the birch wood added more depth. I was bored of oak and wanted something different. I also never liked knots so was looking for a wood with minimal knots and not too busy of a grain. I was suprised how much grain Brazilian Cherry has in the 5" wide plank compared to how little I saw in the 3.25" wide plank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here