Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woca (danish oil) vs. Waterlox

Posted by adh673 (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 23:00

I was pretty sold on waterlox (just ordered my samples) when one of my top running mills suggested I look at Woca Oil. He said that Waterlox is great but that it requires a lot of maintenance. He suggested I look at woca oil. As if I need another variable! But research I must- I'm just not seeing a lot of direct comparisons. I think it used to be called Trip trap oil. Anyway know why one should choose one or the other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woca (danish oil) vs. Waterlox

Probably meant "Watco" oil.
It penetrates, has a low solids/solvent ratio, doesn't build a surface. Offers much less protection from water than does Waterlox.
It shows the grain and texture of the wood well. It won't be accused of being "too shiny".
Casey

o

No, he did not mean Watco. See wocaoil.com and consider also Rubio Monocoat.

o

Woca is a European hard wax finish. Others are Pallman, Osmo, Synteco Natural and Rubio Monocoat. They too require regular maintenance but either type is easy to do and a learned homeowner should have little trouble doing so.

The Waterlox has a traditional "hand rubbed" look. The hard waxes are not a traditional surface finish. You need check and see if you would like the look. Their big advantage is extremely low VOC's and regular but easy up keep.

o

Thank you for responding. In the end we went with Waterlox- two coats original, one coat satin. Our floors are wide plank walnut.

The Waterlox process was pretty painful because we had to move out three times, the fumes were SO STRONG and it was the dead of winter. But in the end, we LOVE the results. You are very right in the hand-rubbed look reference, the finish is just gorgeous. We've been done with the last coat for about 3 months now so it hasn't been long but so far, there has been no issues with hard kitchen use, rough kids, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here