Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jloleary

Quarter round -- yes or no?

jloleary
9 years ago

We are in the midst of a renovation of the back of our house. So far so good -- with many, many ideas and solutions from this forum and gardenweb. As background - our house is 1870's with beautiful baseboards without quarter round. Renovated kitchen -- it was an old addition from early part of the century so never completely matched front of the house-- will also have large (8 inch tall) baseboards. Couldn't completely match up all the trim but renovation is a separate area and short of having custom made -- good enough. Would you add quarter round -- yes or no? Powder room is done so I have an example of both, plus a picture of baseboards original to house. Keep in mind this is an old addition - probably a porch at some point that we have expanded and am renovating.
Thanks for any advise

Comments (11)

• jloleary
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Without quarter round

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

Quarter round is one of those band-aid type solutions - used to hide the gap between the floor and the wall.

It doesn't look like you have a gap. Why add something you don't need?

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

Purely an aesthetic choice. Do whatever is appropriate for the house and what looks right and visually pleasing to you. I would add the quarteround molding if it was my choice to make.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

Purely an aesthetic choice. Do whatever is appropriate for the house and what looks right and visually pleasing to you. I would add the quarteround molding if it was my choice to make.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

I like how the quarter round looks with your base. The other poster who said about covering gaps and you not having any is right but with seeing both pictures i like the quarter round.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I have quarter round in my entire house. I didn't NEED it in all room, but DID need it in some areas (to cover gaps) so I used it in all rooms for flow and consistency.

• rayrose
    9 years ago

I'm replacing all of the floors in my house, which currently has quarter round. I'm also replacing the baseboards with 51/4 baseboards and no quarter round. To me the quarter round is nothing more than a dust collector and the new baseboards will cover any gaps. Your pics look better w/o quarter round. If you have no gaps, I'd go w/o quarter round.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

The photo looks like it might be distorted. What is the proportion of flat base to the curved molding at the top? They look about even. If that's the case, I would add the trim because it seems less top heavy.

I would use shoe, not quarter. It is more refined/elegant looking. Of course can't really see your molding details well overall.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Oops! Snookums post reminded me - I used shoe mold instead of quarter round.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I used shoe molding instead of Quarter Round Molding.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Casey on your other thread says round is period appropriate, just not 3/4 round which is bulky. So I would listen to him.