Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neidermeyer

help with basement carpet

Neidermeyer
12 years ago

I am finishing my basement, and have just about everything figured out except for the carpeting. It seems every salesman I go to gives me a different answer. I've got 2 young kids (2 & 4) who will be using the area mostly so I'm sure it will get abused over the next 10+ years. I live in Denver, Colorado so moisture is not an issue and my water heater will be in a uncarpeted closet with a drain so flooding shouldn't be an issue either.

I am looking for something budget friendly since it's mostly for a playroom that I am sure the kids will wreak havoc on. I like the idea of a darker carpet with some fleck that will hide any stains they may create. I'd like to have some stain resistance and durability, most likely a nylon from what I've read. Smartstrand looks great but I'm not sure how that fits into my budget. Any help you guys could offer on the carpet & the padding would be appreciated. I've already learned to avoid the big box stores. Thanks in advance

Jack

Comments (5)

• Floortech
    12 years ago

What you are describing I just think fits a true berber(looped) carpet. Place it over 1/4 inch commercial pad for something that you will never wear out and go ahead wreak the havoc. They should stretch it in using masonry tack strips. Parade of champions by Shaw and Endless Chic by Mohawk will be excellent choices and can be installed for 2.50 a sq ft or so. You will never wear these out. They are a nylon olefin blend. There is not a cut Pile (Fuzzy carpet) in the world that will outlast these and they are perfect for a family room. If you want a plush feel use a , smart strand frieze. Again it will be higher priced and not wear as well over all..but will be a little cozier. The berber over cushion will fit the bill the best. Good Luck

• mike_home
    12 years ago

Floortech,

I have looked at Parade of Champions and Endless Chic for my basement. I had installed a similar loop carpet 13 years ago. It showed some wear on the stairs, but in general it did well. Unfortunately my basement flooded because of Hurricane Irene and we needed to do a major renovation.

It looks like we are going with Endless Chic because of the better selection of colors. What is your recommendation for a cushion? In the past you have stated no higher then 1/4 inch for a berber. Should I upgrade to an 8 pound cushion?

• Floortech
    12 years ago

If 1/4 inch, yes it should be 8# cushion. Both are excellent products I might add.

• mike_home
    12 years ago

Are you familiar with Shaw's St. Bryant? It is also an olefin/nylon mix loop. The face weight is 33oz which is higher than the Endless Chic, but the loops are bigger which always worries me in the high traffic area. Any opinion on this one?

Finally why is it there is very little selection in 100% nylon level loop carpets? In the resesidential category most of the carpets are either 100% olefin or a 85% olefin/15% nylon mix. It seems you have to go to a commercial carpet to get 100% nylon, but unfortunately then the color selection is small. Are the buyers of this carpet only interested in price and not so worried about long term wear?

• Floortech
    12 years ago

It is of my opinion that a well constructed olefin loop will wear somewhat similar to a nylon loop. A tightly pulled down olefin will wear extremely well. not so in a cut pile. There are many nylon Loops. Shaw Anso has a lot of them. many are precision cut products. Tuftex has dozens of them (Again Anso). I always felt (and I take this business as serious as anyone)that a good quality olefin loop will always please and meet performance expectations. The nylon fleck (15%) is there for color only as nylon is much more vibrant. Check out Anso loops if you need a nylon. St Bryant has also been a big winner for Shaw. It is in many builder lineups across the USA. I also agree that a bigger looser loop will not perform as a tight pulled down loop! Good Luck.