Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weespxx

New floors - concrete, cork or bamboo? (to match Sofielund - Ikea

weespxx
9 years ago

We are renovating our kitchen, adding a room and replacing the floors on the whole 1st floor of our house.

Love the look of concrete and the grey color would look well with our Sofielund bottom kitchen cabinets from Ikea but I've read that it's very very hard on the legs! We're already on a slab, which is hard in and of itself. I've seen posts about Bamboo and Cork, both of which might come in colors. Any advice? We're not looking for the most expensive floors, which is probably why DH likes concrete - ha.

Thanks a ton!

This post was edited by weespxx on Fri, May 30, 14 at 6:42

Comments (4)

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I am in the same sofielund boat--what floor. A white ceramic would look great but would kill my legs, knees and back, and feet.

Yesterday I took a sample of sofielund to Floor and Decor, a pretty national huge warehouse discount flooring store. There is a hardwood that I love, it is coastal maple and it is a gray, beige, greige-made by monte bello, an appalachian wood. And I thought it worked. Sofielund and coastal maple looked pretty good together.

Inasmuch as sofie is walnut, I layed the sofie sample against a couple of walnuts and I thought they looked good too. I believe that red or yellow woods dont look so great with sofie. So that's where I am at in the same quest. hth

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I am in the same sofielund boat--what floor. A white ceramic would look great but would kill my legs, knees and back, and feet.

Yesterday I took a sample of sofielund to Floor and Decor, a pretty national huge warehouse discount flooring store. There is a hardwood that I love, it is coastal maple and it is a gray, beige, greige-made by monte bello, an appalachian wood. And I thought it worked. Sofielund and coastal maple looked pretty good together.

Inasmuch as sofie is walnut, I layed the sofie sample against a couple of walnuts and I thought they looked good too. I believe that red or yellow woods dont look so great with sofie. So that's where I am at in the same quest. hth

• pima74
    9 years ago

We installed cork on the concrete slab in our kitchen about 7 years ago. Nice on the feet compared to tile. But one can get soft gel mats to place at the stove/cooktop and sink so standing there is easier on the tootsies if you decide to go with tile or concrete. As recommended by the manufacturer, we have small rugs for the two places mentioned above. Reduces wear at the most used spots.

• David_123
    9 years ago

Decorative flooring has great importance nowadays.It has wide variety also.And concrete resurfacing is also easy way to make the surface more beautiful. Floortex at Toronto is famous for this type of resurfacing & designing.Concrete flooring has more attraction compared to other flooring.