Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Facad for my home

Posted by cer2010 (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 21:59

I am in the planning process of a new home. I will cover the exterior with OSB.
I want to use a casting of either rock or brick on the outside.
I would use "sand casting" and lightweight concrete reinforced with nylon mesh.
I want to cast these in interlocking patterns. They will only be @ 1/2" thick and only 1/4" projection from the "grout" casting. I would fill the joints where a "grout line" was not cast (where each panel comes together) and strike them to match the other "grout" lines.
I want to know what would be the best way to adhere this to the OSB. I know I will have to put housewrap on the outside.
Can I do like a stucco application with wire mesh, a scratch coat and adhere with mortar? Would the modified mortar work best? Or does anyone have any other ideas.
I will stain these and use a watersealer on them.
What I am looking to do is make my own stone or brick similar to those you buy. I am retired and have a lot of time on my hands and we enjoy working with our hands. If you are as old as I am, you will remember the old "Z" bricks. This is what I am basing this on.
I do not want to do a complete brick or stone facade.
Comments or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Facad for my home

This was placed in the wrong forum. My apologies! I am new and somehow got here to post this. I have reposted it in the appropriate forum.
If you have any suggestions, please see my post in the Home Repair forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here