Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood Floor Installation In A Highrise Apartment

Posted by jddar (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 21:55

I have an apartment on the tenth floor in a highrise building with concrete slab floors. Currently, the floors are covered with carpeting. I think wall to wall carpet is unhealthy, impossible to really keep clean, harbors dust mites, and is just disgusting.

I have my heart set on finished in place, 3/4-inch, rift sawn, white oak floors. I do not like nor desire prefinished, engineered, or laminate flooring.

Obviously, there is no chance of moisture wicking up from below as found in typical house basements or ones built on concrete slabs. Does this negate moisture issues typical of wood flooring installed in those situations? I have seen many finished in place wood floors over concrete in older apartments similar to mine. I would like to educate myself on the best installation methods. Could someone please give me advice or direct me to where I could learn how to accomplish this type of installation?

Thank you so very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood Floor Installation In A Highrise Apartment

lowering the sound transmission to the apartment below is your main focus.
"soundproofing acoustic membrane"
e.g. http://www.finitec-inc.com/EN/woodInstallation.htm

o
RE: Hardwood Floor Installation In A Highrise Apartment

There are several techniques used for installing solid wood flooring over concrete. You would still want to use a vapor barrier on top of the concrete. Direct glue down, floating plywood subfloor, and fastened plywood sub floor are three of the most common installation methods over concrete. The National Wood Flooring Association Installation Guidelines cover these methods. I do not remember for certain if this is discussed in detail but Charles Peterson's book Wood Flooring: A Complete Guide to Layout, Installation & Finishing is a good general reference. Sound transmission to the space below is certainly a consideration

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here