Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does American Slate need to be sealed?

Posted by kosinski (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 21:50

We are considering using an American Slate product in our kitchen. We read that most slate needs to be sealed but this manufacturer is saying it is not needed. Does anyone have this product and have they found this to be true?

Also, we are concerned about the potential for scratching at chair and table legs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does American Slate need to be sealed?

It shouldn't scratch..but I only know of slate that should be sealed.

o

If it's a true slate, yes it needs to be sealed periodically....and yes, it is easy to scratch. You might try protecting the chair and table legs with plastic or felt.

o

There are also products that are not slate, but are called slate.

o

Thanks. We just got samples in the mail. The manuf says they are slate but they are extremely uniform in texture and thickness, much more so than the other products we have seen.

We did a stain test and a scratch test. For stain test we put olive oil and canola oil on a spot, let it sit and wiped with a wet rag. No sign of oil remained once it dried. This seemed good.

For scratch test I set tile on floor and dragged wood chair across it. Permanent scratches so this test was a failure. Maybe sealing it would help but the manuf said sealing not req'd but could be done once.

We are now leaning towards a wood floor (unfinished) with a durable sealer (boma traffic hd). At least I know that we can easily refinish if/when the floor gets scratched.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here