Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownnugen

Will I be happy with Extra Matte finish on hardwood?

brownnugen
10 years ago

I was originally thinking about having my contractor refinish my floors with either Bona Traffic HD extra matte or Bona Traffic HD satin. The floors will be done in a golden oak color. I did not want a glossy to finish because I heard they show scratches, dust, or just about any imperfections. I am leaning towards leaning towards extra matte.

I did a little bit of internet searching and found some people saying that a matte finish will not be as durable as a glossy finish? Is that true?

Does the finish (matte versus various levels of gloss) make a difference in ease to cleaning, keeping it clean or the texture of the floor?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I am making the right choice.

Comments (10)

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have always assumed that the glossy floors would be smooth, would the matte finish texture be any different? Does it make any difference on stairs?

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Smoothness solely depends on how well the last coat is applied and how clean the area was prior to applying said coat

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gregmills, that makes sense. Is there any reason not to with a matte finish?

Also, does it make any difference what brand of stain my contractor uses to stain the hardwoods? Specifically, if he uses either Duraseal or Bona Golden Oak stains, would it affect how the polyurethane lasts? Is it better to try to stick with one brand's product (stain, sealer, finish) or does it make any difference?

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry, double post

This post was edited by brownnugen on Sun, May 12, 13 at 13:55

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Sometimes the stain may need to dry a bit longer depending on what top coat is applied. But generally speaking no it doesnt matter.

Now sometimes if you water pop the floor before staining it will leave a rough texture thus sometimes requiring an extra coat.

Matte sheens look really dry. No shine at all.
    In my area 97% of all my customers choose satin.

If you are torn which sheen you want on the last coat apply any sheen you want on the floor as a test spot and then make your decision.

Just make sure you prep the floor well before applying the last coat.

• sdpac
    10 years ago

Czecheart or brownnugen - if either of you are still around on this forum, I'd love to see pictures of your new floors! I'm considering a matte finish myself but would like to see photos of how it looks in other peoples homes.

And now that you've had the floors a few months, do you still like the finish? Would you do it again?

Thanks!

• goodbyekitty
    10 years ago

The two floors we are thinking of purchasing have a satin sheen and even that seems too shiny for me. I was thinking about purchasing unfinished maple or hickory and having it finished on site with a walnut matte.

But I have read that site finished floors are not as durable as factory finish because of the UV poly finish that most factorys have.

How does matte feel?

• tulips33
    10 years ago

@ czecheart We were thinking about Pallmann Magic Oil and I wanted to know how it's holding up. Would you recommend it for a family with young kids? Is it getting scratched up a lot?

• robinwythe
    7 years ago

The matte sheen looks awful. I totally regret getting talked into it.