Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fandlil

Wood floor refinishing questions

fandlil
10 years ago

Our house was built in 1985. When we bought it in 1991, we had the oak floors LIGHTLY sanded and a fresh coat of polyurethane applied. I think the sanding just removed the polyurethane, not any of the wood or very little wood.

The floors are in very good condition, but we're repainting and want to refinish the floors so everything looks fresh. We're thinking of either keeping the same color stain, a medium honey color, or go with a slightly darker color.

We think only a light sanding that takes off only the polyurethane coat is necessary and no need to sand deep into the wood. I assume that a slightly darker stain can go over the existing stain and cover it. Then the job can be finished with 3 coats of polyurethane. We're thinking of going with a low VOC product like Glista Infinity 2.

Is this a reasonable plan?

Comments (6)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Heres the problem(s)
    -theres no way you can only sand off just the old finish. Not even then best pros can do that. No matter what some wood will be sanded.

-is your floor perfectly flat? Every board on all sides is flush with its neighbor?
    No dents or scratches?
    -in order for your color you want to accept evenly you need to remove ALL the old finish and whatever stain is currently applied.

There are colored polys like gel stains you could apply without any sanding. But thats not my forte so i really cant speak to whether or not thats even viable.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

"There are colored polys like gel stains you could apply without any sanding."

Not my forte either (only employed those to match in a repair)...but I have seen some jobs done with that and what a mess!

If your floor is reasonably smooth and flat with no visually offensive dents and scratches, and if you intend on keeping the existing color, then perhaps all you need is a prep and recoat with a clear and compatible polyurethane.

Otherwise, as gregmills says, "you need to remove ALL the old finish and whatever stain is currently applied."

• fandlil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Glenn,

I like the idea of a "a prep and recoat with a clear and compatible polyurethane."

What is involved in the prep?
    How can we be sure we're using a compatible polyurethane?
    Right now, the polyurethane is a semi-gloss, as far as I can tell. We would prefer a matte finish. Could that be applied over the existing polyurethane? Or would we have to stay with semi-gloss?

Thanks a lot.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

I would recommend a commercial quality waterbourne polyurethane, such as Bona Traffic or Bona Traffic HD (there are equivalent products from other manufacturers).

Each manufacturer will have a recommended schedule of abrasive media and cleaning solutions. The Bona system calls for use of their Prep solution with a maroon colored 3M abrasive pad. Were you to attempt to do this yourself, then rent a Squarbuff vibrating sander and clean the floor with that and the maroon pad and Prep. Once that is dry, apply the chosen clear coat.

We sometimes call this 'screen and coat'...although I've always shied away from using screens, because screening can cut through the existing finish to bare wood. I much prefer chemical cleaning with the maroon pad. You want to get ALL surfaces of the existing urethane abraded by the maroon pad. You will have to do some hand work with the maroon pad to finish it all up. You want NO shiny spots left after the process.

Then you can apply one or two coats of Traffic (or an equivalent) in whatever gloss level you want.

• Jean48
    10 years ago

We have a prefinished natural red oak in the living area and would like to put the same in the kitchen. Problem is that the living area is several years old and has aged to a nice golden honey color. Will the kitchen eventually catch up or get closer to the color of the living room floor.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

if you use the same finish materials as were applied to the living area, then there is every good chance the floors will look similar in the future.

A good wood flooring expert who examines your existing floor ought to be able to prescribe a solution.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County