Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to finish pine floor in old home?

Posted by Maine_Mare (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 21:05

We are pretty close to finishing a kitchen renovation in our 1810 cape and I just learned that my husband does not like the painted pine that we have in the rest of the house (original to the house but was sanded and repainted 7 years ago) because of the wear with kids and dogs. The floor in the kitchen was to be painted but now I am thinking of doing another finish to the new pine we had installed. After reading a few threads here it seems that pine isn't terribly easy to stain but I really don't want the high gloss of polyurethane. Do I have another option, possibly a wax?

The kitchen sits next to the dining room which has narrow birch flooring which is stained dark but does not seem to have any sealant.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to finish pine floor in old home?

Adding color to pine can be done. Like you said not easily but can be done. If you want that natural finish you have other options that gloss. Many products now offer a semi gloss. A satin. And a matte finish. There is also other types including velvet finish. Many many options. But as a floor profesdional for the love of god stay away from wax!!

o
RE: How to finish pine floor in old home?

I'd recommend Waterlox... google it. It's more like an oil finish which imparts a bit of color, and can be done by a DIY-er. The good thing is that when wear occurs, you can reapply without having to sand or strip first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here