Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Filling seam gaps between Peel and Stick tiles

Tmnca
10 years ago

Our bathrooms have peel and stick vinyl tiles - it's actually reasonably nice and although on the list for replacement when budget allows, they are functional and OK looking for now. They are the type with fake grout color around the edges (grey).

However in some areas the seams between tiles are noticeable and this bugs me visually and concerns me that water could get between.

Is there anything I can use to seal these gaps, and how would I get it to match the "grout"?

Comments (15)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

They make a vinyl based "grout" for groutable vinyl tiles, but I don't think it will work for your application. If the subfloor was properly prepped, (sealed properly) and the correct adhesive was used for the tiles, you won't have "casual" water damage. Now, a lot of standing water, yes. You can't avoid that. As far as the "line" appearing between tiles, that's just how vinyl tiles look. It's actually dirt stuck to the adhesive edge of the tile.

Ceramic tile is plenty cheap enough. As cheap as vinyl tile. And its pretty easy to DIY. Keep your eyes peeled for some specials or closeouts and just plan to replace it when you get the chance.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I do know how much tile costs, and the prep required for it. The subfloor is old plywood and not suitable for tile as is. I am not interested in replacing the floor at this time, I just hoped to improve the appearance of the existing floor installed by the PO.

It's not dirt, there are visible gaps between some tiles - no one else notices this but it bothers me! I'll look for the vinyl "grout" I can test behind the toilet. The groutable tiles I have seen use real grout, so I did not know there was a vinyl based option.

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

You might try a colour-matching caulk. Rub it in with a finger....

• djmarb
    10 years ago

I second the silicone caulk! We have nice peel and stick in our bathrooms and I really like it. It feels warm and smooth underfoot and the more modern tiles are more matte so look pretty good.

I live in a cooler climate, so the only way I would put stone or ceramic in my bathroom is if they are heated, or if it's just for resale. Good luck! Our vinyl tiles have lasted 9 years with no issues.

• Becky Sax
    6 years ago

Can I use colored wood filler??

• Becky Sax
    6 years ago

Lol if only the contractor would have....

• Saskia Calvert
    4 years ago

be careful with colour-matching caulk and rubbing it in with a finger, per stone tech. There will be a lot of excess mess to clean up. Recommend removing most of it with a soft blade, i use a piece of wood with a suitable edge, it prevents scuffing the vinyl. Then carefully and thoroughly remove ALL residue with a damp cloth. Any residue will dry and stay tacky and pick up alot of grime and soon the entire floor will look like heck. Left over residue is difficult to see and you won't know it's there until the smudge appears. If that happens you need to clean entire affected area using soapy water and mild scrub pads. Just sayin'.

• redners11 .
    3 years ago

could you tell me the brand/style of the tiles you're talking about? they sound like what I'm looking for but can't find.

• Melissa Enderson
    2 years ago

Can I put the peel and stick tiles directly over existing tile in my bathroom?

• Lynn Ruffenach
    last year

I jabe the exact question ! ”do it right the first time” was not was i was looking for!

first time for me. doong my Mom a favor & shes worried anout the small open seems. even though i pushed the together as close As i could.

i guesd ill try the vinyl grout?

thanks

• Alexus Gladfelter
    5 months ago

I have this same problem , i have old and peeling laminate wood floors and the tiles just have tiny gaps in between some of them. Its not dirt cause its brand new but i rent so im not trying to mess anything up

• Alexus Gladfelter
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Anyone have any better options that is still easy to remove if i need to remove it, the owner will more than likely keep it but just in case. Im new to doing bigger home improvement projects so any help is appriciated

• millworkman
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

You rent there is really nothing you can do to add anything to the floor that would be reversable easily.

" i have old and peeling laminate wood floors and the tiles just have tiny gaps in between some of them. Its not dirt cause its brand new but i rent so im not trying to mess anything up "

Huh? Which has the issue? Discuss the old and peeling with the landlord. "Bigger Home Improvement projects" are not for renters to do.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    5 months ago

Renters get all of their deposits revoked, plus have to pay extra, when they ruin the homes they are living in.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz