Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuesday_2008

Can we talk sheet vinyl?? Show me yours

tuesday_2008
11 years ago

Educate me on sheet vinyl please! I would love to see real-life pictures also if anyone has sheet vinyl they like (love).

I have a large utility/mud-room with an outside entrance that gets used a lot. I have ruled out tile - there is no way I can keep tile and grout clean - so I am seriously considering the best quality sheet vinyl I can find.

My questions to your flooring experts are:
*What brand(s) should I be looking at - tell me the pros and cons
*What thickness
*When does it get glued down or is it layed flat

The room has my washer and dryer, clothes racks, freezer, storage cabinets, deacons bench and gets a lot of traffic. There is also a hall that runs from the mud room to the main part of the house and a bathroom on the left. I would also like to put vinyl is this bath.

I know that I want a pattern that looks like ceramic tile, not too shiny, not too textured, but enough texture to look like real ceramic or stone. I don't want hardwood look - I have a house full of the real stuff.

I want something that mops and cleans well.
I want something that will last twenty years :).

I will purchase from a reputable flooring place and make sure it is laid by experienced installers.

One other thing - the floor is slightly unlevel where it leaves the original part of the house into the utility room which was an add-on. We do not have foundation problems - just an older house. I have been told that flooring experts can apply some type of leveling compound around this threshold. Am I right?? It is not bad, but you can see/feel it through the old vinyl floor.

Tell me what I need to know before I go shopping for sheet vinyl PLEASE.

TIA
Tuesday

Comments (7)

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

A good quality sheet vinyl can give you the look you're after with the ease of maintenance that comes with this type of flooring product today. There are lots of selections out there that will surely last twenty years in even the roughest household, provided that whatever you get is swept and cleaned regularly and the proper furniture glides are provided for all movable furniture pieces.

The crown you feel through the existing floor should be easy for a competent and experienced flooring installer to address. The key to successful and long-lasting sheet vinyl installations is preparation to the existing floor surface; failure to do proper preparation or installing over an unapproved substrate can result in a floor that will have problems. Also important is the use of approved fillers, adhesives and seam sealers. It isn't rocket science, but you have to cover all bases and the job cannot be rushed; a competent, trained and experienced installer will know this.

Armstrong, Mannington and Congoleum are just three manufacturers and distributors of quality vinyl and 'vinyl-type' sheet products. Remember that generally you will get what you pay for, so if your selection is low on the price point scale, overall quality is apt to be low as well.

You're doing good research. When you're finally ready to pull the trigger, you'll be an expert.

• tuesday_2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Glen. I am even more convinced this is the direction I want to go in after hearing your thoughts.

Would you consider Tarkett a good contender for a quality product? They have some pretty stone look patterns.

• pam533
    10 years ago

bump. I would love to see pics, too!

• tuesday_2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam I will bump also...we must be the only ones interested in sheet vinyl :).

• mary_md7
    10 years ago

DH and I are planning on new sheet vinyl for our kitchen. We considered wood, laminate, and tile, and feel vinyl is the best choice for us.

We figure, as noted above, that it's best to get good stuff and not go cheap. Our leading contender is Armstrong's Falcon Ridge line, specifically the "Morning Cloud" pattern. It's classified as "StrataMax Best" on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Armstrong Morning Cloud

• livestrong4ever
    10 years ago

We just did sheet vinyl in our kitchen / dining room and bathrooms. This is what it looks like.

• livestrong4ever
    10 years ago

and this is the master bath

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH