Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which flooring for whole-house (including kitchen)?

Posted by Joe_Link (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 19:59

I'm closing on a 716 sq ft two bed one bath condo this month, and one of the first tasks I have is replacing the flooring in every room. There's currently some sort of wood in the kitchen (probably laminate?), and carpet in the living room, bedrooms, and hall.

I'm looking to replace everything except the bathroom flooring with the same wood or wood-look material, but I'm very concerned with moisture. Eventually this will be a rental unit (probably 3-5 years from now). The color I think I'll be going with is a dark dark brown or black.

I've looked at strand woven bamboo, simulated wood tile (porcelain and ceramic), and vinyl plank, but I'm really not sure which would best suit my needs. I went to six different flooring places and most told me something different. I was pretty convinced bamboo was the way to go, but the color I'm looking at can't be refinished, and the moisture still concerns me. I like the idea of tile for the durability, not sure of the drawbacks.

I'd like to keep this under $5-$6 per foot, installed, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which flooring for whole-house (including kitchen)?

check out ifloor.com for ideas. They will even send you samples free.

Bamboo will scratch easily, I love the idea of the wood tile, especially if you are concerned about moisture.

o
RE: Which flooring for whole-house (including kitchen)?

I do a lot of the wood tile and folks love it. Durable, easy to keep clean, as well.

You might be able to hit your "price point," depending on your area. Lowe's generally has some very nice product for about $2.25 per sq. ft., as I recall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here