Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricmama_gw

Wood flooring decision. In a quandary, need help!

ricmama
9 years ago

We are getting ready to take out about 1000+ sq ft of tile and wood flooring (circa 90s) and put in hand scraped hardwood floors. It was fun and exciting until I had to go pick out the floor. Now I'm miserable and confused. My problem is that our doors, baseboards and molding are dark cherry (in some places the baseboards lean toward purple-ish) and don't seem to work with the floor colors I was going for.

So, what color hardwood do I get to go with these cherry doors, etc.? The existing wood floor in our living room is high gloss, narrow board cherry, and I despise it.

Do I go with the floor I want and paint my existing wood or do I get a floor that will go with the wood? And do I have to "match" the existing wood?

I've been told to go with light flooring, but thats the opposite of the look I'm going for.

I love the look of white trim, but we have a lot of trim and molding (and high ceilings). Also, the molding is in fabulous condition. (See pic) Painting seems sinful...and tedious. But I'm not above sin or tedious if it gets what I want. (That sounded better in my head.)

I could really use some advice. Thanks.